Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the situation:
When my now 3-year old ds was a baby, I was super-obsessed with following the Super Baby Food book - making all the baby food, waiting the requisite 3-5 days between introducing foods, pureeing everything, etc. My ds is now a bit of a picky eater, especially about textures. He doesn't like crunchy things - probably because I was also obsessed with him possibly choking on everything.
I now have a 5 month old and I would like to do things differently this time. (I know she's not ready for solids yet- I'm just planning in advance.)

Anyway, I've seen quite a few posts on here about people skipping the pureed foods with their babies. I would like to do this, but am unsure how to start. Do I just cut up bits of prepared food for her to eat herself? Should I wait 3-5 days between foods, or should I not be concerned about every food causing allergies? Should I still start with bland things like bananas and avocados, or do I just start giving things off of our plates? If I'm just staying away from potentially allergenic foods, what are they? - egg whites, dairy, wheat, ?
:

I'm really sorry about the length of this post and my ignorance. I thought I had this all figured out with my son, but the way I did things with him created a lot of work and stress that I feel could have been avoided. I'm trying to have an easier go at it this time. The stories I've read on here of people skipping the pureed food stage seem really appealing to me and I would just like to hear more about the specifics of doing that.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Well... I give Bunny some jarred food because he loves their taste, (minus the meats) but he also gets bits from our plates. I give him whatever we have, spicy or not, complex or not... Not a whole lot though. Just so he can experiment. I don't worry about waiting between new foods but he's never had a problem. I don't give him anything he could really choke on, and obviously stay with him so that if he DID swallow wrong I could help him. But he doesn't choke (on food anyway!).

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
We skipped the pureed food all together.

I think we started with soft avocado pieces and cooked carrot pieces. As long as it was kind of mushy I didn't worry too much.

At the beginning I would wait in between to look for allergies, but then I lost track because she was just eating what we were eating.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by woodchick View Post
We skipped the pureed food all together.

I think we started with soft avocado pieces and cooked carrot pieces. As long as it was kind of mushy I didn't worry too much.

At the beginning I would wait in between to look for allergies, but then I lost track because she was just eating what we were eating.
:

We started with soft foods and then just graduated to whatever we were eating. I found that when we first started, around 7 months, not much made it into his mouth. By 9 months he was a pro at self feeding and now he'll eat anything you give him.

·
Premium Member
4,639 Posts
We just mash/cut up whatever we are eating. Very little seems to make it into his mouth, but I figure eventually he will get the hang of it.

I don't worry too much about some allergens (no history of any in the family), but I haven't given him peanut butter, stawberries, or shellfish.

I am scared to death that he will choke on something, but I think I am just a paranoid mother all around.

·
Registered
4,112 Posts
I just cut up pieces of soft food for her.

I never worried about allergies. I just didn't give her TONS of a new food at once. Some of the research I've found says that DELAYING "allergenic" solids may be part of why kids have allergies...A two year old is probably going to eat more strawberries their first time than a 10 months old, and the sheer amount of a new "foreign" substance overwhelms the system and produces a hyper-immune response. Whereas if a baby only eats, say, one nibble of strawberry, the body is able to process it without going into overdrive, and "remembers" that food in the future. There's also been some research done with peanut allergies where they've (in controlled environments, obviously) introduced miniscule amounts of peanut into allergic people's bodies, and the body slowly built up a tolerance to the peanut...it "learned" how to react properly (the allergies were never completely cured, but, they were far less severe). So, Katie's had everything. Just not a ton her first few times..

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
We're doing the bits-of-whatever I'm eating thing... thats very interseting about the allergies. It makes sense to me though, since the way to avoid other "outdoor" allergies (from what I've read at least) is to expose'm while they're young! (eg whoever heard of a farmer kid being allergic to hay or dust??) Do you have any links??

·
Registered
389 Posts
We started with table food. We avoid too much salt or sugar, but otherwise spices or seasonings are fine. DS's first food was steamed broccoli - it's easy for them to handle because of the 'handle' shape... We used to give him large pieces - stick shapes - because he could grab onto one end and gnaw. Now that he has his pincer grasp down her prefers small pieces.

www.babyledweaning.com is a great site that is helpful.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I never gave jarred or pureed food - it's pretty amazing what a 6 month old can gnaw.

I just gave all of mine whatever the rest of the family was eating, spices and all - obviously tough steak was not included, but there was little else that they couldn't have!

ETA: I agree about allergies too - and studies have been done that indicate it may be because of the Western world's unfounded "fear" of giving their toddlers normal foods that we have such an outbreak in allergies here. There's a great article here: www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9646449

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.