Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my daughter, and my c-section, in 1999. I am pregnant with #2 now, and due in Feb. However, I cannot get my records for my c-section because my former OB destroys records for patients that haven't been there since before 2008 (I moved out of state in 2005), and the hospital says the same thing (only pre-2004). I know I had a totally normal, standard c-section. It was following a failed induction, so there weren't any emergency circumstances. I have a low-transverse scar, and no reason to believe I don't have the same on my uterus.

I'm pursuing an HBAC with a midwife practice here, and she's already asked for these records. There is no way for me to get them if they've been destroyed. Are all the health care providers just going to refuse to let me VBAC if I can't prove the circumstances of my c-section?

·
Registered
24,471 Posts
Health records are supposed to be maintained by law - not destroyed. They are in storage or archived somewhere and you may have to wait a while to get them and pay for copies to be made.

I was told that some records are destroyed after seven years, but a court order or legal representation can help you get your own records. If you had insurance, ask them.

I always tell mothers to get their records asap. There are always surprises in those papers.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, I'll see if anyone can direct me toward someone that may have them, though everyone I've spoken to seems astonished that I would think they still have records 16 years later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would not be surprised if they are destroyed. They are past the 10 year limit that many states even use. Best of luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts