Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started ds on regular solids at 6 1/2 months. From that point on he has been having constipation troubles. I've stopped and started solids a few times. Anyways, he's been off solids for about 4 days now and he still isn't pooping much and his poop stinks SOOOOOOO bad. He usually doens't go much for a few days and then he starts to get really grumpy. He will have a HUGE HUGE HUGE poop that is really firm and it stretches and/or tears his anus, it's horrible. So I've just been breastfeeding for these 4 days and he's been miserable. He cries and screams when he sees anyone eating. When he sees me eating he crawls over and when I lift a bite to my face he opens his mouth. Yesterday I did break down and gave him a bottle with 4 oz of veyr watered down apple juice because my nipples are SO sore from all of the feeding. These 4 days he's been feeding every hour and so I'm really sore. I've posted a few times about his constipation and everyone tells me to stop the solid feedings but I really can't handle the nipple pain from the constant feedings. He WANTS solids, I can tell. I've been giving him flax seed oil in just a tiny bit of juice (1 oz or 2 oz) for the past week. I think I'm going to go to the grocery store and buy some prunes and make some prune baby food. Maybe he's just a guy that needs a lot of fiber in his diet??

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
to you both.

How about trying some non-constipating foods he can feed himself? Ripe slices of peach, pear or plum would be good.

-Angela

·
Registered
658 Posts
yeah, I think that if he is crying for food you could try some other options for him. I had really good luck with squash and sweet potatos.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've tried finger foods but he won't eat like that. He just squishes it around on his tray and cries. Either he just doesn't know how to finger feed or he's just too lazy??

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
My DD loves being spoon-fed (or finger-fed) too, I know where you're coming from. She will self-feed now too though (took her about a week or so to get the hang of it).

I agree with Angela - try ONLY non-constipating food. Prunes mixed with another non-constipating fruit (cherries, nectarines, apricots) are good. Fresh apricots are especially good because they are in season now and you can just squidge out the insides and leave the skins behind, and just mush up the inside til it's a good texture. Don't give cereal, rice, meat or anything but fruit and vegetables.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I don't do meat anyways....I've JUST switched to a vegetarian diet about 2 1/2 weeks ago and I don't think I'm going to give Brody meat at all.

Prior to these 4 days without solids I had been doing homemade oat porridge and millet but is that stuff constipating? I thought it was just the iron that was in the store bought stuff?

Won't be going to the grocery store, I'm going to go to the fruit stand and pick up some fruit.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
Grains are hard on the digestive system, so that could be causing the constipation. I'd stick with just fruits or veggies and delay grains since he reacts to them in this way.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.