Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else discovering very little or no support at all when it comes to bf? My mother is extremely supportive with all my parenting discions but she lives on the other side of the country so that doesn't do me much good. My local family is just not supportive at all! My sister, who is due in August, and I, due in november, are both planning on bfing but our stepmother is doing everything she can to convince us both against it. She keeps saying that the benefits of nursing end after the first few weeks so there's no point in continuing, which I know is not true. She's also tried to tell us that we should quit bfing before the holidays because we won't want to spend the entire time hiding in the bedroom. I'm sorry but I'm not going to hide in the bedroom while my dd eats! If they can't handle it then we just wont show up.

Her latest bit is telling us that we wont be able to stick with bfing because of the strict diet restrictions. Now can someone explain this to me? How different can my eating during bfing be from my eating during pregnancy? I just don't understand how that's going to be an issue. I never drink. I try to eat as healthy as possible. So what am I not getting about diet restrictions?

My sister and I both have other children but this is the first time either of us has attempted bfing and this lack of support and all the negatice comments are really starting to tick me off!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DandK
Is anyone else discovering very little or no support at all when it comes to bf? My mother is extremely supportive with all my parenting discions but she lives on the other side of the country so that doesn't do me much good. My local family is just not supportive at all! My sister, who is due in August, and I, due in november, are both planning on bfing but our stepmother is doing everything she can to convince us both against it. She keeps saying that the benefits of nursing end after the first few weeks so there's no point in continuing, which I know is not true. She's also tried to tell us that we should quit bfing before the holidays because we won't want to spend the entire time hiding in the bedroom. I'm sorry but I'm not going to hide in the bedroom while my dd eats! If they can't handle it then we just wont show up.

Her latest bit is telling us that we wont be able to stick with bfing because of the strict diet restrictions. Now can someone explain this to me? How different can my eating during bfing be from my eating during pregnancy? I just don't understand how that's going to be an issue. I never drink. I try to eat as healthy as possible. So what am I not getting about diet restrictions?

My sister and I both have other children but this is the first time either of us has attempted bfing and this lack of support and all the negatice comments are really starting to tick me off!
I think you should print out some informative material and give it to your stepmother. Her comments are 100% medically false. kellymom.com is a great place to search for info.
Some babies do require their mother's to eliminate food from their diets. Some babies react when their mother's eat dairy, nuts, or other allergens. Only some babies, though. Not all by any means.
As for the nursing in the bedroom, I would make it abundantly clear to her, that unless all people are forced to eat alone in seperate rooms, your baby will not be subjected to that. She is a person with feelings, and she will eat the way babies are intended to eat, and if that bothers your stepmother, perhaps she should come to terms with her own body image hangups, or you won't bring her grandbaby around.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Definitely have kellymom.com as your homepage.
Both for her to look at if she would like to, but mainly for YOU! That's so GREAT that you are planning to nurse this babe!! Yay for you! But you will need lots of support, and I think having kellymom.com as your homepage would be good.

The diet restrictions, eh, I've never really had to change my diet for DS. He's just not that sensitive. Oh, well, if I overdid it with tomatoes, then he'd react, but that just meant not having large amounts of sauce on my pasta. Not all that difficult.

I personally am not one for nursing around family (other than my dad and extremely nursing-friendly stepmom). So I tend to segregate myself in a nice quiet cool bedroom, but that has never been enforced by anyone. I like to run away from my in laws, and nursing E was always an excellent excuse.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
To address some of her issues:

Holidays: I "hid" in the bedroom at Christmas. Mostly because dd was 4 weeks and we were still getting things down. Also, dh's family is crazy and loud so it was nice to have a quiet place to go! I haven't "hid" in the bedroom since then
Also, I was only in the bedroom for maybe 40 mintues the entire 4 hours we were there!

Diet: My dd had reactions to tomato, so for the first couple months I couldn't eat pizza or pasta with marinera sauce. It sucked (I love tomatos!) but she had gotten over the sensitivity by the time she was 6 months old. Some kids have stronger reactions and you just go with it!

Go to kellymom.com and tell your sister about it too! Support eachother and you'll be fine! If you have any questions, you can post them here

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Same here, loudmama!

Though there was that one OOPS day when I managed to have the equivalent of four shots of espresso in one day (forgot about the morning grande latte until as I was finishing the afternoon one)...we were BOTH up for ages that night!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Angela,

YOU can do this!
And I think that it's wonderful to have your sister with you on this important decision. Breastfeeding for the first time - well, at least you already know it's going to be interesting.
Keep us posted on how it goes!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I feel more comfortable knowing that I am on the right track regardless of what my stepmom is saying.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts