Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dh asked me if we would get out kids taken away from us, for not having prenatal care, in the event that we would need to transport to the hospital. I don't know??

A lot of people plan to say that the birth happened too fast, and that's why they had a uc, but if you don't have any sort prenatal scare or scare taker lined up, that reason probably wouldn't work.

Does anyone have any info or advice?

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I would check with your specific state laws. I am aware that in Kansas, CPS cannot open a case on a charge of no prenatal care.

In a country that allows abortion, requiring prenatal care would be a bit of a hypocrisy. But then again, can't you get in trouble for being an alcoholic or drug addict while pregnant? Or am I thinking of something else?

·
Registered
183 Posts
CPS can take away children when they feel their life has been put in danger... and they are acting on it more and more... it is getting scary!

·
Registered
338 Posts
I dont understand how no prenatal care could be a problem(unless you are hiding the pregnancy) considering it isnt considered a child until it is outside of your body?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I believe in Colorado you would be fine, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I don't think CPS is bound by technicalities like whether the fetus is a child, or whether there is an actual law. If they want to cause you trouble, I think they can. Personally, even with my DEM-attended homebirth, I do a few things to cover my ass, such as 1-2 prenatal visits at a hb-supportive CNM office, and a home visit newborn check by a supportive MD after the birth. I did this for all 3 homebirths and none of the CNMs or MDs has given me a bit of trouble - a whole lot less trouble than worrying about CPS busybodies.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
I live in Illinois where DEMs are not legally allowed to practice. I'm also doing UP/UC. If anyone asks about my prenatal care I plan to say I saw a DEM through my pregnancy and cannot give out her information for reasons of privacy and personal ethics.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PancakeGoddess
I don't think CPS is bound by technicalities like whether the fetus is a child, or whether there is an actual law. If they want to cause you trouble, I think they can.
They can certainly scare you into believing they can, but I am not sure they actually can. My best friend had CPS called on her last year for completely bogus charges. When the caseworker came to investigate, my friend made sure to tell them she was getting prenatal care for her son that was born a short time later through a CPM. The CPS caseworker told her that it was none of her business if she was or was not. Now perhaps concerned staff at a hospital transport can call and CPS might come to investigate, but for lack of proof of other illegal neglect, they cannot take your child away (according to this person she spoke with) in Kansas. In fact, she also mentioned that while she is not a personal fan of delayed/no vax, that she is also not allowed to take a child on that basis either. Our office of CPS here is known to be very strict to the law and moral though. I may never move.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
chantel - sounds like you're in a very fair area.

It's true, I'm not sure they legally can take my kids, but I'm definitely not convinced they won't, and it's just not a chance I'm interested in taking. I don't even want them calling, or at my door. I don't want to be on their radar. Two or three visits to some nice CNMs are just not that big of a hassle for some CYA.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I am a child welfare investigator, although not in Colorado. (and I just had a UC last month!)

Lack of prenatal care is a red flag in substance abuse cases. Most drug-addicted mothers do not get prenatal care. They show up at the hospital, usually while high and give birth there. That is not to say, however, that "not getting prenatal care" means you are a negligent mother!

I had a UC last month and did certain things just to CYA. (or I guess CMA....) I took her to the pediatrician the very next morning and had the newborn blood tests done. (to test for PKU, etc.) Do I think it is necessary? No, but I wanted to have something on paper saying that I had things checked out. That was MY choice and I am not saying that you should do that or that ANYONE should, but....I felt some paranoia about having CPS called on me, as well.

feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.