Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was little I swore I was gonna let my kids be kids - run around like wild beasts, finger paint every day, and draw on the walls.
Well now I'm a mom and I am wondering if I am too hard on my dd1, that I don't let her be a kid. She's not quite three...
One thing I'm wondering is she likes to scream loudly sometimes. When she does, we tell her it hurts our ears and we'd like her to use her indoor voice. If she doesn't comply we often tell her we're leaving the room, and follow through, or ask her to leave the room. Is this fair? Should I just let her be a kid and make noise?
How loud do you let your kids be in the house?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
That's an interesting question. My dd is not quite 2 and I only have the one so far, so that might change the situation. I think I let her be as noisy as she wants, as long as it is some sort of happy, productive noise. If she is, for example, yelling at me (!) I do ask that she use a nice voice. Or if I am on an important phone call :)LOL THat doesn't happen too often) I ask her to be quiet or I will leave the room so I can hear. But generally, if she is being noisy playing, I leave her be. She is not a screecher, though, like I have heard some children. Probably if she were truly hurting my ears or upsetting me I would ask her to quiet down. I'm from a big, loud family myself, though, and also work with kids, so I think I may be immune to noise at this point!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
my almost 4yo can get pretty loud. I don't mind loud playing and I don't mind "yelling out" things like calling each other, or saying boo! or things like that,
but I totally draw the line at that high pitched shrill screeching that my son LOVES to do.

I tell him if he has a need to scream like that, he can go stand outside (in a certain spot we agreed on) and screech away.

So, if you see a boy at 7 am in the morning standing outside screeching gleefully, it could be mine....

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I usually do the same thing you do b/c it DOES hurt my ears. I tell Haley and Max if they need to yell they can go outside or in another room. I do not care however if they are yelling for each other (like if someone is downstairs and the other person is upstairs)

·
Registered
4,482 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam_and_Abigail
When I was little I swore I was gonna let my kids be kids - run around like wild beasts, finger paint every day, and draw on the walls.
...and eat ice cream for breakfast and drink all the Slushees they wanted? :LOL Funny how those visions change when you turn into The Mom, huh?

I am really sensitive to loud noises, so I think I'll put my foot down about this one, if/when we get there -- my 22 month old is usually pretty quiet. I like the idea of letting him be loud in another room or outside, but not where other people are (adults) (me).

~nick

·
Registered
402 Posts
when dd starts screaching (ear piercing) then i often will start whispering, esp. if it's someplace where we need to be quiet (like church). i don't always tell her to be quiet, but i do whisper something, and usually she'll start whispering in response. but usually the screaches are from laughter. i don't want to curtail her laughter, so i try not to make a big deal about the noise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.