Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one have any advice for a moderate sinus infection? I have been using Guefeasin(SP) but still I still feel like my head is full of cement! I loath antibiotics any other treatments out there?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
This is not a cure, but it will make you feel much better.

Boil a pot of water, throw a teaspoon of dried basil and dried oregano (if you have dried spearmint or peppermint, that's good too).

Take pot off the stove and place on a trivet on your kitchen table. Sit down and put your face over the steaming pot, cover your head and the pot with the towel. Breathe in deeply through both the nose and mouth, keep a box of tissues with you. This is a great facial too!

You can use eucalyptus or tea tree oil too. They don't smell as pretty as the basil/oregano or spearmint/peppermint. All of them are good for breaking up congestion though.

This treatment has made my asthma, allergies, and any sinus infections more bearable. Drink a lot of water or herbal tea before or after the 'facial/inhaler'. It will further relax you and your bronchial and larynx muscles. Inhale the steam from the herbal tea as well.

You can also dissolve baking soda in water (completely liquid) and snort that. That dissolves snot (nice technical term, huh?) - or you can purchase saline based nasal drops at a pharmacy.

Try rubbing tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil (combined with olive oil) on your chest and throat, and right under your nose too (swipe a finger of the oils right on your nose and underneath, the 'moustache').

This also breaks up congestion and kills some cold bacteria.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I wish I could tell you what I've done and what I've used, but I got a complaint because I mentioned a product and website, which made someone think I was affiliated w/ the company/s. There are options, and once I'm more hip to the rules on this community, I'd be happy to share. I also do not use antibiotics unless I absolutely have to, and will suffer a longer period of time using natural remedies first. Good luck, and if I find myself comfortable sharing information to help again, I'll be elated to tell you what works for my kids and I.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by solidcitizqueen
I wish I could tell you what I've done and what I've used, but I got a complaint because I mentioned a product and website, which made someone think I was affiliated w/ the company/s. There are options, and once I'm more hip to the rules on this community, I'd be happy to share. I also do not use antibiotics unless I absolutely have to, and will suffer a longer period of time using natural remedies first. Good luck, and if I find myself comfortable sharing information to help again, I'll be elated to tell you what works for my kids and I.
I have seen people share websites and products here all the time I do not see why you could not do that too.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I don't really have a treament- but a preventative measure I use is that the minute I start to feel my sinuses start to fill I start taking alfalfa tablets (any health food store has them). I have not had a sinus infection in years. I used to get them chronically every 3-4 months or so. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
940 Posts
hi, just my two cents, but I know there is a product out there that has gse(grapefruit seed extract) in it . It is a nose spray meant for sinus problems. I just bought some , if you pm me I will give you the name as I am not sure if you're allowed to give names of specific products....

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
I had one that dragged on and on for two months after a cold, and I was getting really sick. I eventually gave up and stopped being so lazy. I put salt garlic water and colloidal silver up my nose as a sinus rinse and took GSE orally. The first day of the program I did eat seven cloves of raw garlic and was deeply offensive to my friends and family. At any rate, I burned out of this torture after about 5 days but it worked.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Oil of Oregano!!!

Seriously! It's a wonder drug. I know two people who had chronic sinus infections who started taking it and it not only seemed to cure the one they had but neither one has had another sinus infection! These were both people who had a sinus infection every other week it seemed.

If you google it, you'll find lots of great info about it's antifungal, antiviral, antimicrobial benefits

·
Registered
851 Posts
Some things that helped me:
First of all, I purchased a sinus/nasal irrigator online. It was about $90 and SOOOO worth it. I used to have sinus infections all the time, but not nearly as often now. Also, instead of just saline like the product recommends, I use 2 tsp xylitol, 1 tsp pickling salt (fine grain, dissolves easily, & iodine free), and 1-2 tsp of colloidal silver. It really does the trick.

Second, I like the xylitol nasal spray that is available at most health food stores and some drug stores online. Great for being "on the go."

Third, my midwife gave me this "cure" during my summer cold and it seemed to help with congestion. Cut 1-2 organic oranges into sections, put in pot on stove, pour 1 cup honey (pref. raw) over oranges, and add enough water (distilled) to cover. Heat until almost boiling. Freeze the orange sections individually and suck on/ eat one or more just a few minutes before bed. You can also drink the honey-orange "tea" that is produced, but you may wish to water it down more. It's yummy.

Fourth, There is a colloidal silver nasal spray that is available online. I think drugstore.com and vitacost.com carry it. It seems to help.

If you'd like more specifics, PM me. HTH.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.