Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My twins will be two this weekend, and we are going to have a party complete with a kitty birthday cake. They love cats, lol. Anyway, dd2 has a very serious dairy allergy. I've found a recipe for the cake, but not for frosting. The cake is a spice cake, and they recommend you put cream cheese frosting on it, which is obviously not a possibility. Anyone have any recipes for a frosting that might taste cream-cheesy...even though it isn't???

·
Registered
518 Posts
Use a regular cream cheese frosting recipe but sub tofutti cream cheese for dairy cream cheese. For my dd's party we made a molasses spice cake and topped it with a tofutti/maple syrup glaze (low grade maple syrup is as close to processed sugar as we come in this house) and it was a huge hit, even with my SAD family.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Another alternative is to just dust powdered sugar over the cake (but then again, 2yos love frosting, and you can do so much more with frosting in terms of decorating and stuff.)

I've made "buttercream" frosting using coconut oil in place of the butter and coconut or rice milk in place of the cream.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Another alternative is to just dust powdered sugar over the cake (but then again, 2yos love frosting, and you can do so much more with frosting in terms of decorating and stuff.)

I've made "buttercream" frosting using coconut oil in place of the butter and coconut or rice milk in place of the cream.
Hmmmm, I didn't think about using coconut oil in the place of butter...good idea. When I'm cooking, I usually just use olive oil in place of butter, but olive oil probably wouldn't work well for frosting.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My mom always used a delicious icing on our cakes that goes as follows:

1/2 c. shortening (I use palm oil--no trans fats)
1 lb. powered sugar (organic when I can afford it
)
1/3 c. milk (or soy/rice/almond...)
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
Use a mixer a blend until smooth.

It's delicious and can be used on cakes and cookies. If it dries, just add more milk.

jiva

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
Royal icing is another nondairy icing - it dries sort of hard and crunchy and is YUMMY (but no like cream cheese). Since it is basically egg whites and powdered sugar you could flavor it up with whatever suits you. A google search or a basic cookbook can turn up instructions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts