Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone share recipes or point me in the direction to find ideas for non-dairy smoothies? Both my boys are dairy intolerant. I have been making fruit/coconut milk/honey or agave nectar/milled flax seed ones this week, which I like but DS2 isn't so thrilled with. He doesn't seem to have much of a sweet tooth (unlike his mother!). Both my boys are also pretty low on the weight charts so extra calories on't hurt them at all. I have seen smoothie recipes but most seem to be dairy based. I'm not too creative with smoothie ideas so thanks for any sugestions!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Try posting in the veg*n forum. You'd probably get a better response.

I make smoothies with soymilk, whatever fruit we have on hand and flax oil. Both the kids love it and drink the whole cup each time. Not that that is terribly helpful but if you used flax oil that would give added good fats.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I just throw frozen fruit in the blender

ie. frozen bananas
berries
mango
pinapple
pear
and whatever else.

I then add a mixture of whatever juice I have around... usually 1/2 apple juice and 1/2 orange juice

another drink I make in the blender is this green one... You can vary this one as well to change it up a bit w/ different veggies.

a seedless cucumber (peeled and cut into peices)
an avocado
zucchini or yellow squash ( again, peeled and cut up)
a peeled lemon, lime or grapefruit
a tomato (cut into pcs)
a big handfull of fresh spinach
some sweetner (I use about a teaspoon of stevia)
5-6 ice cubes.

this gets very creamy and becomes bright green after its blended really well... its good and good for you! And if you want it for your kids to gain add 2 avocados.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
You may have to keep trying different combos. One of my sons won't eat any kind of fruit smoothie--loves carrot juice based ones (I use 1/2 an avocado for the thickness for the fat/protein/calories) Banana can thicken it too. I add other things too for calories--carrot juice is a strong taste! My point isn't necessarily carrots...just that anything can be a smoothie--you don't need a recipe really!

·
Banned
1,192 Posts
I never use milk in smoothies either - just frozen banana, frozen berries (straw-, rasp-, blue-), a little brown sugar, and soymilk or whatever grainmilk I have in the fridge. Or a little juice. Sometimes a handful of quick oats, if I want to thicken it fast, although blueberries really thicken things after a few minutes. I don't bother with ice, either - too watery AND too ice-chunky at the same time, which is probably a problem with my technique!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazycat View Post
Can someone share recipes or point me in the direction to find ideas for non-dairy smoothies? Both my boys are dairy intolerant. I have been making fruit/coconut milk/honey or agave nectar/milled flax seed ones this week, which I like but DS2 isn't so thrilled with. He doesn't seem to have much of a sweet tooth (unlike his mother!). Both my boys are also pretty low on the weight charts so extra calories on't hurt them at all. I have seen smoothie recipes but most seem to be dairy based. I'm not too creative with smoothie ideas so thanks for any sugestions!
LOVE the smoothies!!!

Try:
1. soy milk, frozen coconut, frozen banana.
2. frozen papaya and pineapple juice
3. frozen strawberries, pineapple or tangerine juice, and papaya
4. frozen pineapple, papaya, and soy milk
5. pineapple juice with a combination of frozen berries.

·
Registered
5,301 Posts
I always use a banana. lol Then I add whatever I feel like. I also try to add something for protein, usually a spoonfull of Sunbutter. If there are no allergies in your family and you're doing nuts, you could use peanut or a nut butter. I also use rice protein powder sometimes. It's gritty though. Since you can do soy, you could use soymilk for the liquid, although I wouldn't use soy as a sub for milk daily. Too much soy isn't healthy for little kids, imo. I like to use orange juice for the liquid. THen I add frozen fruit. I also add fresh vegetables to my smoothies sometimes, although I think the appearance might turn the kids off. I like beets and sometimes a little kale. THe fruit usually covers up the taste of the veggies if you don't add too much. THe beets make a very pretty color.
My blender sucks, so it's chunky, but I'm sure it's better w/ a better blender.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts