Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this at all better than homogenized milk?<br><br>
I started getting local, natural (no antibiotics, etc) milk thats pastuerized at a low heat and non homogenized. Other than the obvious local and natural aspects, does homogenizing make the milk less healthy?

·
Registered
5,702 Posts
Yes! Homogenization violently breaks up the fat globules to the point where your body no longer recognizes it for what it is (and therefore effectively use it) and instead can attack it as an allergen.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? Good to know. I'm glad I decided to try it.<br><br>
Ok so its not raw because its pastuerized correct? Does the pastuerizing affect allergy issues at all? My youngest is allergic to dairy and my oldest doesn't tolerate it well so I'm curious if this milk would affect them differently.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Yes, pasteurized means it's no longer raw. It depends on exactly why your kids are 'allergic' or intolerant of dairy, whether it being raw or pasteurized would make a difference. People who have a true dairy protein allergy are usually no more able to have raw dairy than pasteurized, but if it's a lactose intolerance causing the reaction, then they might be able to have raw milk with no reaction. Raw milk has its own native lactase (the enzyme that breaks down lactose) in small amounts, and for some people it's enough that they can digest it even if they don't make their own lactase (the cause of lactose intolerance is an inability to manufacture the enzyme lactase).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts