Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really wanted to get a trofast set from ikea but shipping would be 99$... We have a huge tub full of duplo, one of wood train toys and some cars, stackers, and dinosaurs.

These are played with daily so it is a question of organizing, not simplifying. Right now we use the remnants of a plastic box / bookshelf type toy bin mixed up with some giant storage bins formerly used to store our oldests clothing for our youngest.

So is it possible to find something? Any suggestions? Even like a set up of fabric baskets or even wicker would be fine I just can't find anything that could hold the big tubs worth where I can buy more than one for under 100$.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I really
: the white rolly bins, I'm gonna check out sizing at the local to see if they are big enough... very clean "feel" and functional!

My thing with colors right now is that the multi-colored bins just feel cluttered to me even when they are "organized" ... I can really envision a bit more "peace" emenating from the room with the white bins than what I currently have.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I looked at the Cubeicals, I like the idea of it but the squares just wouldn't be big enough. I'd have to split the legos' trains into two diff. buckets/bins...

I might have to do that anyway, though... it wouldn't be that much harder to pull out to play with. This is great, like having a personal shopper! Keep em coming, with my thanks!!!

ETA: those bins rock, I missed that post when I wrote mine... perfect for the legos and the trains. I could do the stacking white bins, unstacked along one wall with one galv. bin on each side... that would be plenty of storage, under budget and (in my head) quite pretty!

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Those, I don't think my kids could get the toys in or out of easily or without tipping over (the 2yo anyway)
but for about three minutes I was picturing some nice baskets in the middle with a hamper on each side, thinking... this could work!

ETA: I looked at osme of the hamper links under there and there are some only 19" high... that aren't a bad price. I think you just pointed me out to a whole realm of unexplored toy storage opportunities... in the laundry sections!

·
Registered
1,254 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One on its side http://www.target.com/3-Open-Shelves...28&pf_rd_t=201 20$
Galvanized bins on each side of that $30
Four of these http://www.galvanizedpail.com/index....products_id=16 @20$ on top of the (former side) of the white organizer, or properly sized ones "in" the three cubes

$70.

I think at $30 under budget, this could "look" really nice! What do you think?

(I love the shelves as a bench/shelf, great idea!)

ETA: or even as bins, lay it on its back and have metal pails to pick up out of it and the giant galv. bins on each end.... playing with possibilities...

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
I bought white rolly plastic drawers years ago for my craft supplies. I'm contemplating putting my supplies in bins for now and storing them and letting the kiddo have the rolly carts because he is *obsessed* with them. I figure I can fill them with his toys and solve two problems at once.

I would prefer to have a wooden grid/basket system, but if he's gonna play with the rolling stuff anyhow, I may as well be flexible.

Someday, I want to have a room with a wall full of apothecary shelves, with millions of tiny drawers. Then my clutter will serve a purpose.

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
We have had a 3x3 storage thingie from target for 2 years now, with the fabric bins and LOVE it! We use our label maker to make labels and can change them as needed. My 5 yo can now read the labels, but in the beginning we made simple ones like "legos" and "soft toys" that she could begin to recognize.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Hey Kelly, I saw a pretty good selection of aluminum containers at MIchaels today. About the same price as the website we were linking to and of course there would be no shipping. I just thought I'd let you know.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.