Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Ok, so I decided to share just because it is SOOOOO weird, and because I'm scared of Tues. now.  About a month ago ds came inside complaining that he had an ouchie on his foot (he's 4).  So I looked and sure enough he had a splinter in his foot.  He doesn't like shoes so had been outside playing barefoot.  I removed the splinter and then saw another one, or one I thought was a splinter, and I tried to remove it but couldn't get a splinter out so I thought well, maybe it's just a puncture and nothing is in there.  A week passes by and I noticed that the mark isn't gone and now there's a bump where it was.  Then I start thinking he has a wart and that maybe what I thought was a second splinter was a wart.  He only complained occasionally of it bothering him, and that was only when he wore shoes.  I didn't think much of it.  DH outprocessed our clinic, and since this didn't seem like an emergency I decided to wait to deal with it until we got here.  So, while we're on the road trip I noticed that the bump was getting bigger, well warts don't grow I don't think, so then I figured it wasn't a wart.  As soon as we got here we registered with tricare and the clinic and I took him for his appointment today. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>We go into the dr.s office, he looks and says, "seems like something is stuck in there"  He then explained that he wasn't comfortable dealing with this issue without consulting a podiatrist (really not sure why, but I think I figured it out later).  He called and set me up an appt. with the podiatrist today and ordered an x-ray.  We go to the podiatrist who looks and says, "yup something's in there, let me look at the x-rays"  I asked if we'd be able to see a splinter on an x-ray and he said not if it's organic material, but if it's got metal, or maybe stone, then yes.  Sure enough, on the x-ray he can clearly see an object, stuck in my son's foot.  But, he has to wait for an approval from tricare to take it out because they won't pay him if a surgery isn't pre-approved (apparently this is minor surgery).  He said that if it looked infected he would send us to the ER to get it done, but since it's not he has to wait.  So next Tues, ds has to go in, they are going to give him a couple shots to numb it, then they have to slice down to the bottom of the "growth" and remove the object.  With that said, I now think I know why the dr. at the clinic passed this off.  I wouldn't want to do that to a kid either.  So, ds is on antibiotics until the procedure as well as epsom salt soaks every day.  Even the podiatrist is hoping that the epsom salt with help the object move out on its own.  It is nice to know that noone is really thrilled about having to cut into the foot of a 4 yr. old.  Of course, I feel awful for having let it go for that long, but I honestly had no clue that he actually had something INSIDE his foot, and it is way down there.  The "growth" as I called it when I set up the appt. is quite large, so that is quite a bit of cutting and digging they'll have to do.  Of course the podiatrist says that since he has the x-ray he at least knows where it is located.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>So now, every time I tell another person in my family (kids, husband, grandma) they all ask, "well what is stuck in his foot?"  I DON'T KNOW!LOL  I am actually looking forward to seeing this thing come out so I can tell everyone what it was, plus I'm dying of curiosity. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>On a funny note, the podiatrist asked ds if he minded if he scraped just the top and ds says, "ummm, no you can't".  Then he asked him "well, what if I give you just a tiny shot to make it not hurt" ds, looks at him like he's insane and says, "ummm, I don't think so, nope, can I have my slipper back now".  It was too cute. Of course, come tues. we're going to have to give him no choice in the matter, which scares me cause I really don't want to have to hold him down so they can give him the shot, nor do I want him freaked out by what they are doing to his foot.  I know he needs it removed, but it really does scare me to go through that with him.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway, that's my weird story.</p>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts