Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I just wanted to let everyone know about my venture that is finally coming into fruition (a dream of mine).
I am starting a non-profit organization for low income women who want to birth at home but cannot afford it. Our mission would be to pay or off-set the midwife fee. My web-site is up, but not "running" yet. It is in the works, so to speak. I hope for it to be "running" within the next 2 weeks. I am currently working on getting a 501c3 status so that all donations will be tax deductable. Also I will be excepting donations for gently used cloth diapers and gently used slings/baby carriers. I will be donating them to some of the women I aim to help, who would like these items but cannot afford them.
I am planning on doing an on-line auction in november to give it a good kickstart. I will be accepting donations of art and other products for this, mother/baby related.
My reason for doing this, is that I think there is a true "need" for it. ..nak..i do not know of any other organizations doing this (correct me if I am wrong). I have had many friends and aquaintances over the years tell me they would have liked a home-birth but just could not afford to pay the fees involved. I don't think this is fair and I think all women regardless of financial status should be able to birth at home if that is what they desire.

comments please??

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
That is so wonderful!

Where are you located?

·
Registered
972 Posts
That is the coolest thing I've heard in a long time. Helping women like this is great, but you're also making a statement to the whole medicaid-insurance-hospital system that forces healthy women into what turn out to be very expensive births. Even if insurance or whatever picks it up, somebody has to pay for it, you know?

Keep us posted and I'll help if I can!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!!
I am in south east michigan,but this will be nationwide. I will be putting my link in my sig when all is said and done. also mothering rules require me to have my 501c3 statis first before i can do that. I will have a link on my website to get on the mailing list,a newsletter etc..

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla
Good luck with your venture!!

If you'd existed 5 years ago I could have avoided the hospital nightmare following my son's UC!
thank you,but

I am sorry I didn't think of it 5 years ago...

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JanetF
This is one of my longterm goals for the Australian home birth network. We should talk! PM me if you like
I'd love to put your info on my website!
yes!! I would love to put yours on mine (Once I work out all the kinks on my site
)
and 7kiddosmom- pm me! I'd love to link your mw's organization as well. the more we help the better

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Full Heart
Its a great idea. My mw is trying to get something similar to that started here. I think its very important. Good Luck!
I'd love to link yours as well!

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
I think that is such a wonderful idea! I wish I had thought of it.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
What a great idea! As a midwife in SE Michigan who serves a lot of low-income clients, I am very excited.

The women who used to own my practice bounced around the idea of having our practice be a non-profit and then seeking grant funding for subsidizing our clients, but I think that it is nicer to have a non-profit that serves women in a larger geographic area.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Defenestrator
What a great idea! As a midwife in SE Michigan who serves a lot of low-income clients, I am very excited.

The women who used to own my practice bounced around the idea of having our practice be a non-profit and then seeking grant funding for subsidizing our clients, but I think that it is nicer to have a non-profit that serves women in a larger geographic area.

Good luck!
I am very excited about it. The website looks beautiful so far. The 501c3 status (for tax deductable donations) is a difficult road to take,lots of paper work and I have had to hire an attorney and an accountant (thankfully my stepfather in law is an accountant
). But I hope it does not take too long...
My site will be ready before my "501c3" status will be. *I will have an option for midwives to sign up and give their info. I would also like to have a link for the women we've helped to share their birth stories

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.