Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I was wondering if anyone has ever attempted to get a non profit status for their group and if so how did you go about doing it?  Was it expensive?  Was the process lengthy?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The reason I am asking is because I am in the process of taking over an old group that used to be up and running but has become dead in the water over the years.  The group was started in 2003 and at the time it consisted of doulas who volunteered to help teen and low income mamas.  The group was really a great group, and I know at one point there was talk about trying to get a non profit status and then writing for grants to help fund the group.  Unfortunately one of the leaders moved out of state and it kind of ended up going stale in the water, and then it underwent different hands and nothing happened with it. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>A short while ago I asked the woman who took it over if she was still running it or if she wanted to hand it over so I could get it up and running again and she said I could take it over.  I am in the process of doing that now, and would like to seek non profit status if I could and potentially try to get grants so that I could pay the doulas and pay for some of the expenses (printing, mailings, etc).  I know that is a big dream, but I would at least like to start somewhere and try.  I was told by someone that most grants will want the organization to have non profit status so that is why I am asking and would like to know if anyone else has done it. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Along the same lines - has anyone ever written for a grant and gotten one?  Was that a hard process?</p>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts