Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there is some TO DIE FOR brocade at my fabric store... it wants to be a pouch so badly but I fear the non-stretch. Does it hurt your back? What about their leg? I have a 19 pound toddler....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by polihaupt
The difference between a stretch and a stretch pouch is minimal IMO - I have tried both and they are both just as comfy
I second the above ... I've only every used non-stretch pouches (a Lovely Mama and an old-style Hotsling) with my 20-lb-er, with no problem.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
I sling ds all the time, often in a pouch sling-the only stretch one I have tried was the stretch cotton Hotsling...honestly, as the pp's have said, the difference is really very minimal-at least to me. Maybe it has to do with the type of carry? I almost always have ds in a hip carry, so I cannot say.
I do have a few non-stretch Hotslings, and have never experienced any pain-when we use the unpadded he does get a light red line behind the knee, but he gets a mark with the padded as well....although he is about 28lbs know, so I think we'd get that with just about anything.
Look at it this way, even if you find it a little less comfortable than a stretch-you can still have it and use it for say, shorter trips or errands, right?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ditto what the pp's said. The only slings I make and use are non-stretchy, and they don't hurt one bit. One thing I will say, whether stretchy or not, if you're planning on putting your dc in a hip carry it might be nice to do a little padded leg rail. It makes a world of difference!

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
minimal. Just make sure you make the pouch a little wider, it really helps it have more fabric to put over the top of your shoulder and helps so the fabric doesn't dig in. My sidecar is slightly wider than a hotsling.

I too bought some on sale brocade and plan on makinf some pouches as soon as I can put down my knitting and get out my machine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.