Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>Good afternoon! I've been trying to come up with a good solution for our bedroom. We sleep on tatami mats on the floor and as such, have no bed frame with headboard. Well it's coooold out now and the wall we have our heads near is super cold. Right now we have some down pillows piled up between us and it, but we'd love something better and less disturbable by our wandering kitties at night :)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I thought about some sort of non-toxic foam board covered with eco-wool batting and topped with fabric, but I don't know really where to find such a foam board. Moisture is a small issue. Our walls can sweat when the temps are subzero. I thought about repurposing some of the many cardboard boxes we have and twine-binding them then wrapping, but I don't know that it would be any warmer.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Any ideas? Besides moving somewhere warm? lol!</p>

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
<p>We made a head board using old sheet of masonite (probably not the best material) but you could use some plyboo, planks of wood or even old door.  We wrapped with foam from fabric store- used the twin egg foam for bed instead of the more rigid thick version. Then we covered with cotton batting, which was organic.  Finally we covered with soft fabric.  It is great because our bed is under a window, which was leaking cold air, and now we are warmer.  We had to make a frame out of left over 2x4s to support the headboard since the window blocked us from attaching to the wall.  Now I can sit up very comfortably in bed- great for reading or looking at computer :)</p>

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
<p>How about if you wrapped your cardboard with a quilt?</p>

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
<p>Is the whole room tatami, or just where the bed is? Because if you're trying to preserve the tatami room aesthetic, I'd suggest one of those low bi-fold Japanese screens, with something insulating tacked to the back. They're called "byoubu", and there's a type that's about two feet tall. Since they were originally designed to block drafts, I think one would work well in your situation!</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts