Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Children are obviously learning all the time...but do you set aside certain times to homeschool? Is it the main focus of your day? How consistent are you?
And...what if you have MAJOR issues with being consisten??

·
Registered
285 Posts
Sure we set a time...like usually after breakfast. I get the little ones occupied with toys, cartoon and I use that time for oral lessons. Then after them, I leave him alone for some seatwork while I go into the kitchen and clean it up. Then a break...then math which is oral and a little workbook. Then...done! He's only 6yo, but it helps for him to know that right after breakfast we do *school* stuff...then the afternoons are for the *unschooling* things....he learns a lot then also.

Oh...this is four days a week. I go to our place of business one day a week. I sometimes can sneak in a Saturday morning.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
On Monday morning I get the boys together and right out their list of what needs to be accomplished by the end of the week. (School work wise, of course)

Around 11 is when the little boy I watch goes down for a nap so that is when the TV and computers go off. They don't come back on until they have done 1/5 of their work. They can choose what to do from the list. Somedays they will choose to do their entire math unit at once to get it over with. Other days they will space it out over the week. The only thing they are not allowed to bunch up like that is their journal entries. They can only do one a day that counts towards school work. I do bend on that if they do one in the morning and one in the evening and they are about different things. Since the return of TV and computer hinge on the completion of their school work they are pretty good about doing their stuff. But they ultimately decided what to doa nd when to do it. I simply tell them what is expected of them.

If they don't finish everything in a week then the computers, playstation and TV doesn't come on over the weekend and the incompete work rolls over tot he next week. The last week of the month is our "off" week. If they have completed everything then they get a week off. If they haven't, this gives them make up time.

AM

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
We mostly do our more focused work in the mornings also, he is only 4 and this is the time of day he focuses the best. The afternoons are for his gym class, the park, some times errands, playdates, and he also usually gets a movie in the afternoon or evening before dinner.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alana View Post
Another question...where do you fit in housework?? DO you have a system for that?
Oh? We are supposed to do that???? LOL

Truthfully, as a hsing family your house is likely to not be as neat as a family that isn't living in it regularly. But....Dishes are done after dinner and the boys pick up their mess each night before bed. Laundry is done on the weekends. The rest of the stuff falls into place as needed. I am no Martha Stewart though and I have accepted that the bathroom does not need to be scrubbed with a tooth brush regularly and that I don't have to mop everyday!

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
After breakfast, I make up lesson lists for the older two as they get dressed. Then, they do individual seatwork ( spelling, math) while I work out and dress. When I'm dressed we do work together ( Latin, history). While they take a break I work on handwriting with the 4 yo. Unless I get up really late we finish just about lunchtime.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I am an unschooler at heart but unschooling was not working well for my 12-year-old, recently adopted child. (I'll spare you the gory details of why and how it wasn't working.)

We now do things this way:

Desta gets up at 8:00. She is responsible for checking the whiteboard to see what her responsibilities are for the morning. Generally they include showering, brushing teeth, taking meds, getting dressed, and having breakfast. After breakfast she starts her chores, which are usually unloading the dishwasher, vacuuming, putting away her folded laundry, and one of the following, depending on the day: dusting, cleaning the insides of the windows, cleaning her bathroom, wiping down the kitchen cabinets, or vacuuming the stairs with the hand-vac.

Immediately upon completion of her chores, she begins her schoolwork, which generally takes her about 1.5 hours.

After that, the rest of her day belongs to her. She is generally done by 11 am.

We are pretty consistent with our schedule. Three mornings a week the younger kids have activities, but Desta just brings her work along with her. (I was always horrified by that idea, btw, but Desta prefers that to having the work waiting for her when we get home.)

Because the kids do their chores in the morning, I have time to do some, too, and with all of us working together, most of the daily running of the house stuff gets done by 9 or 9:30.

My kids have lists of their chores. The last chore on the list is "help out in other ways when asked," so the kids know that at any time they can be called upon to perform a chore that is not written explicitly on their list. We take care of any remaining housework on an as-needed basis, with all of us pitching in.

My house is not spotless and I am ok with that.

Namaste!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I try to get the kids up by 8am each day so they have at least an hour to wake up, get themselves ready, and slowly start off their day. They usually naturallly wake up before then, and other times I let them sleep a little longer.

I do try to have all the "morning" stuff done by 9am so we can start on our schoolwork. I have a schedule of our day hanging in the livingroom so the kids and I can see where our day is headed and plan accordingly.

Mon & Wed the kids have classes at their charter school beginning at 11. So we do some general work like keyboarding, reading lesson for my DD, and maybe a quick writing activity. We're done by 10, get ready for class and leave. They don't both have class at the same time, so sometimes we'll run errands while waiting and other times we go to the library to do some schoolwork or just hang out.

Tue & Th we are home. We start at 9am, work in about 1/2hr increments, take an hr long lunch break at 11, and then work some more until about 1:30-2pm.

I do schoolage home daycare, so every afternoon we have a small group of kids joining us. At 3pm we have a snack and work on homework. My oldest has a "Weekly Goals" list with independent work for him to do(generally works about 30-45min to get his daily goal finished). My youngest usually picks a workbook to do along with the other kids.

On Fridays we generally take the day off to relax, go on field trips, or hang out at park day with our homeschool group.

This is what is working for us *right now* and every single year is different(this is our 6th year!). HTH!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
We *try* to be done with all formal learning before lunch, but some days we wake up late and studying drags a little longer. We never spend more than 3 hours a day doing formal work.

I did find that even though my children like to have a plan, strict schedules don't work with my children. They often get so absorbed with one subject that will spend hours working on only that

My husband has off Mondays, so that's when we always have our family's day out. One of the other days we also go to the library or meet with homeschooling families (there are 4 different groups that meet once a month).

Housework happens here and there everyday, but I try to do a "big clean" on Saturdays.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
We are not very consistant.

I have three boys 7, 5, and 9 months. The subjects we try to do everyday
reading
history
science
handwriting/copywork/journal
math

We do them at all different times of the day and in all different orders. Dh works at different times too, so some weeks we might be doing school at 8 at night and the next at 9 in the morning because we try to not have school when dh is home and awake. We also try to do 5 days a week but if dh is off Tues and Wends then we have school on Sat and Sun.

I have found that if we have something to do, I try to keep it to the afternoon (park days, library, errands, ect.) and do school before we leave the house because I am to tired to do any of it after a day of running around. But I also try to keep the days we leave the house to only one or two a week.

House cleaning is the same way, no set time. I have a list of five days of chores
1-school room/hallways/laundry
2-bathrooms
3-living room/entry way
4-bedrooms
5-kitchen
Again it is m-f unless dh has off in the middle of the week, then I push it back. On the day I take stock of the room and do any deep cleaning that rooms needs (and my standards aren't that high
) and do a quick pick up in the rest of the public rooms.

The boys help every day (one does evens and the other is odds) by doing a load of laundry and loading/emptying the diswasher and helping with dinner. If it is their day they also have to help me if I need extra help with something else, but they also get to do the fun stuff on thier day too (like sleep on the top bunk, swipe my card at the store, pick the movie, ect. anything that might be an argument
)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.