Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend who doesn't vaccinate and she just let me know her kids have chicken pox. We were not hanging out while the kids were contagious, thank goodness.

So here's my paranoid chicken pox question. All my kids are vaccinated for it, but my youngest is too young to have had both shots. I take medicine that decimates my immune system, so while I had the chicken pox (which was hell on earth, I feel terrible for her kids), I'm unsure if I'm still immune because of the medicine. Since we're friends, she's been borrowing some of my baby stuff and carriers and things. How long can herpes zoster live on fabrics?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
My daughter only got the first shot (we then moved from us to uk where there is no routine varicella vaccine). She didn't get chicken pox when her younger (non-vaccinated) brother got it (miserable 2 weeks), so one shot seems to have worked for her to be immune. I assume the exposure to her brother means she got a natural booster also which I suppose is a positive of that awful couple of weeks.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
There's likely stats somewhere on the fraction of kids who will develop immunity following just the first shot.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since I'm immune compromised, how long should I avoid her and her kids, and how long should I wait for her to bring my baby stuff back?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I have no idea. That might be one to ask your doctor. I think once the spots crust over you're not supposed to be contagious any more - but presume that's defined by people with fully functional immune systems.

Hope it works out ok.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put a call in to our Pediatrician who said it can live outside the body for 24-48 hours, so that's good to know. I can just avoid them until both of her kids get it (she has one school aged kid and a baby), and it should be fine.

Unfortunately, she's been all over the community, including playdates with pregnant women, and we were supposed to get together early this week, and just just mentioned her sick older daughter on the phone as an aside, so I have to admit, I'm kind of annoyed that she's not taking this seriously. I know she blows off my health issues, but my own illness aside, there are people in the community who could become seriously ill from chicken pox, and possibly even die, and she is just flippantly spreading this to strangers like it's nothing.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I'm curious how your kids are doing. From what I recall chicken pox incubates for about 2 weeks. Any sign?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts