Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's birthday party was today, and we had invited over some friends and their 2.5 and 1 year old daughters. The younger daughter turned 1 a couple of weeks ago.<br><br>
During the course of the party my mom was playing with the baby and noticed some spots on her. She asked the baby's mom about the spots and she said it was from the chicken pox vaccine. She said her doctor told her it wasn't contagious. Sigh.<br><br>
My son did not have the CP vaccine. Has anyone had experience with this? It was not just that she had the shot, but she had an active case of the disease as well.<br><br>
If my son gets this version of CP, does that equate to full immunity? My intuition says no, but I don't know the ups and downs of this situation.<br><br>
I am pretty pissed at their doc. I really wanted to expose my son when he was older to the wild version. I guess these days it could be hard to tell what's wild and what isn't.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>lisac77</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">... it was from the chicken pox vaccine. She said her doctor told her it wasn't contagious.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Well her doctor was wrong. The Chickenpox vaccine is known to "shed" and the vaccinee is contagious.<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">If my son gets this version of CP, does that equate to full immunity?</td>
</tr></table></div>
Your son will build the same immunity to the disease no matter how he obtains it.<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">... when he was older to the wild version.</td>
</tr></table></div>
It really doesn't matter.<br><br>
If your son is still nursing, he may not get it anyway.<br><br>
If he does, he'll get immunity just the same. And please do come back and tell us. Then someone can also post as to how to deal with it.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Gitti</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Well her doctor was wrong. The Chickenpox vaccine is known to "shed" and the vaccinee is contagious.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
Yeah. Her doctor is clearly misinformed. It is scary. I did tell her that he was obviously on crack. She told her husband they should switch doctors.<br><br><br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Gitti</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">Your son will build the same immunity to the disease no matter how he obtains it.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I see what you're saying, but will it be the "milder case" that they promise with the vaccine? I guess it's really better this way. He was hugging her and playing with her the whole time we were there. He is no longer nursing, so we don't have that on our side. I will post here if he actually gets it.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
My oldest two got CP and it wasn't a big deal at all... and now they never need a vaccine form and don't have to worry about shingles as an adult.

·
Registered
14,488 Posts
It will be whatever his body does/reacts. The little girl's body is trying to deal with the injection and so she has a "mild" type. But it gives her a very mild immunity if any at all. Many kids who are vaccinated are just as likely to get the wild type anyway if they come in contact with it.<br><br><br>
Your son will get the chickenpox that he would get if he were exposed naturally. He gets it via the natural route so his body will start to defend him and build immunity in the process. He will get a stronger immunity.<br><br>
But even the chickenpox disease does not build life long immunity. If he is re-exposed to them, his body will respond and although he may not show symptoms, it will strengthen his immunity anew. Sort of like getting a booster.<br><br>
From what I have read and know from my family, we should all be exposed to chickenpox with every generation in order to avoid Shingles in old age.

·
Registered
5,912 Posts
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>Rainbow</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">My oldest two got CP and it wasn't a big deal at all... and now they never need a vaccine form and don't have to worry about shingles as an adult.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
<br>
Shingles occurs on ppl that have had the CP. It's the disease reactivating in your body. If your children are lucky enough to get exposed to CP periodically they have a better chance of never having shingles though.<br><br><br>
-Heather

1 - 6 of 6 Posts