Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am just starting to research homeschooling and was wondering what people suggest for a full curriculum that is not religiously based? Like I said, I am just starting to do research, so do not know really what educational philosophy I want to follow (waldorf, montessori, traditional) so any suggestions would be great. I do work out of the home so need something that is a full curriculum as my planning time would be minimal. Thanks for your suggestions.

Ds is 2.5 now so I would be looking for K on up to start when hes at that age

Katrina

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd suggest reading about the different philosophies in books, magazines, and/or at websites and looking at sample curricula online or at a homeschooling fair before you make a purchase. Sites such as Oak Meadow, Montessori World, Well-Trained Mind (can be Christian or not), Live Ed, Enki, and Calvert give you some idea of philosophies and curricula, while Unschooling.com and other unschooling sites give you a glimpse of unschooling (which also need not require a lot of planning time). If you decide to go with a curriculum, even some religious-based curricula can have some useful elements for some non-Christians. I've known some non-Christians to use Five-In-a-Row (which is a popular, inexpensive curriculum for younger children--haven't heard glowing things about it beyond age 8) and even Sonlight (which is also literature-based).

Simply reading lots of good books and possibly adding a math curriculum (and sometimes science kits or a science curriculum) can be enough for many people. If you do decide to do a kind of hybrid of unschooling, Rebecca Rupp has a book that helps with suggesting books and subjects to cover for each grade level.

Check out this link for a summary of some HS styles: http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/methods/Methods.htm

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathesan View Post
Hi,
I am just starting to research homeschooling and was wondering what people suggest for a full curriculum that is not religiously based? Like I said, I am just starting to do research, so do not know really what educational philosophy I want to follow (waldorf, montessori, traditional) so any suggestions would be great. I do work out of the home so need something that is a full curriculum as my planning time would be minimal. Thanks for your suggestions.

Ds is 2.5 now so I would be looking for K on up to start when hes at that age

Katrina

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
We just started Enki and I love it so far. Definitely read through the different sites/organizations that offer full curriculum and see what feels right. Do you want highly structured? Do you want more than you can accomplish in a year, and yet loosely structured? Do you want everything there without the "on day 3 do pages 4-5?" Get a feel for what you think you'd like (for instance Enki has *way* more than we'd ever do in any given "school year" and yet it's organized in a way that I can choose the stories, crafts, and movement activities that best fit my boys; I also liked the look of Oak Meadow, but I'm not that structured - hence the leanings towards unschooling
).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts