Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the one hand, I believe we are all aware of the standard medical view of vaccinations, as any of us over 20 has been bombarded with it our entire lives: cdc.gov/features/infantimmunization (this is a good example). On the other hand, newer, less popular views have emerged in recent years: Jenny McCarthy youtube.com/watch?v=LyxM5LYLIhk and the resulting controversy theonion.com/blogpost/i-dont-vaccinate-my-child-because-its-my-right-to—37839 What do YOU believe??

·
Registered
24,717 Posts
Vaccination as a practice is an 18th century view of disease control. The concept of variolation and inoculation dates back to 2500 BC in China and India. They used the dried pus from a smallpox postule inhaled. The upper classes used it as a temporary form of disease control; the people knew that variolation made one ill for a day or two and they would do that in anticipation of a special event or trip. They knew it did not last a lifetime, however long that was in 2500 BC.

Jenner did not discover vaccination in 1799; it was the cowpox/smallpox link that he examined. Benjamin Franklin spoke out against the practice in the 1720s in an editorial in his own newspaper, and later had second thoughts when his four year old son died of smallpox. The vaccination process as encouraged by Jenner caused the inoculated person to get syphllis and tuberculosis and any other disease the afflicted person may have had.

If this practice really worked, smallpox would have been conquered centuries ago.

We know more about nutrition, health, sanitation, hygiene now, so why are we still clinging to this outdated idea? Sanitation works. When groups as the Peace Corps goes into areas that need their help, they clean, burn, wash, and sanitize everything, educate the people, and as a final act, queue them up for shots and the shots get the credit for saving the people. So which is it really? Sanitation or vaccination? In India, many children get paralysis after 14 doses of LOPV. DDT is still used in India.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts