Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sam was born at 30wk2d, and came home after only 27 days because all she really needed to do was learn to eat. She's had tummy time almost every day since she came home, and is a fairly content baby as long as she's sitting up and looking around.

She has her NICU developmental clinic on Wednesday, and I'm actually a little worried that she might be behind. She's 4 months old on Sunday (7wks adjusted) and is just now starting to really focus on faces. She's still not mimicing any facial gestures, but if we can get eye contact (which is rare) she'll smile at us. Also, this morning when I layed her on my chest, she raised herself up on her arms just slightly, instead of just lifting her head. It's the first time she's done this. I had her propped up on her belly on DH's body pillow, and she fidgeted until she rolled over on to her back.

I guess I'm just worried that she's behind, since most of the 7wk old babes in my DDC are smiling a lot more, and laughing too, and focusing on faces really well. We know she can hear us, because she turns toward voices, and the opthamologist said her eyes looked good at her appt 2 months ago.

Am I worrying for nothing? Is this normal for 30wkrs? I know my appointment is only 5 days away, but I'm freaked out!

· Registered
1,827 Posts
That really sounds about normal for where my ds was at 7 weeks adjusted. It seemed like it took him so long to really focus and smile, but once it "clicked" he really got it!

· Registered
5,151 Posts
I think it's normal too. Joshua was a 29 weeker, and he wasn't mimicing facial gestures or laughing at that point. I think both of those things were ones he was a little behind his adjusted age friends on, but he wasn't behind as in the ped taking notice, kwim? There's such a WIDE range of normal. In fact, I think laughing took us a LONG time, or at least it seemed like it!

· Registered
4,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, mamas! Now we just have to wait for the therapist to sign off on a clean bill of health so that I can breath more easily!

· Premium Member
10,171 Posts
Sarah- I remember at MAggie's 4 mo follow up, they were only interested in her "following" not necessarily making eye contact. She is now at 6 mos / 11 weeks corrected making eye contact and then smiling, cooing etc all the time.

The pt did show us some exercises to work on w MAggie. DH was more interested in that since he is a pt and they went over some other things he wanted to do. Now when ever Daddy does tummy time, Maggie is out cold after from the work out he has her do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.