Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>So, I have noticed a couple of behavioral changes in my 3 year old these last 3-4 months. Does this sound normal?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>One change is an uptick in button-pushing-this seems age appropriate to me. She likes to do pretty much the opposite of whatever we want, and we've learned ways to deal with it. She's not too obnoxious...just a doozy of a tantrum about 2-3 times a week. This is manageable.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The other thing, which I am more concerned about, is that she just seems more generally disorganized than she used to be, in terms of her ability to self-regulate. I feel like 2 was easier--she was actually more purposeful and focused when playing, less loopy. I don't really know how to describe it, except that she just seems flakier and in some ways LESS mature than when she was 2.5. Is this weird? She is still sleeping pretty well, no dietary changes or anything like that. Is it normal for a three year old to be acutally more scatterbrained than they were before? </p>
<p> </p>
<p>And, any tips for dealing with this phase/age?</p>

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
<p>Three is so hard!!  (but great too)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Three is the most oppositional age there is.  If you say "Let's go get in the car"... they don't want to get in the car...even though they wanted to a minute ago.  You have to word everything so it either sounds like a race/game, or it sounds like their idea.  Things like "Who should open the door?  You? or Me?"  Or "I'm going to get to the door before you"  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Yesterday, one of my daycare kids wouldn't leave.  I watch a friend of his, and her dad happened to be here at the same time as the boy's mom...so, the Dad said "Hey, I'll race you guys home... I'll give you guys a head start cuz I can drive faster".....That kid was in his car before his mom could get out my door.  (I got a text later, saying he won the race... 14 miles in rush hour traffic, they live a mile apart, but apparently HE won, and it seems he felt the need to make sure I got a text)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Learn to give choices.  "the red dress or the blue dress".  Let ANYTHING that isn't important slide.  Nobody is ever going to think you dressed her in a green cowboy hat, a purple  tu-tu and red rain boots.... so let her wear that.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Three is one of my favorite ages.  I love to see the things they come up with to manipulate and "win" or make someone angry.... I'm always impressed with how smart and capable they are.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Make her world easy.  Buy a tiny pitcher for her to fill her own cups with water.  Find an old chair that could be turned into a helping tower so she can cook for herself.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>The tantrums get better at age four..... if not, they defiantly improve in kindergarten.  It's a whole new world in kindergarten.  Crying and tantruming is not very effective when it comes to pursuading   peers.  They quickly learn new tools to get what they want, or they listen to the other point of view and come to a compromise.</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts