Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aaaaah! My doc says it is normal, but I don't know, it seems like a lot to me. My firstborn was a preemie and in the hospital for the first 6wks of his life, and, now 2.5yrs later, that I'm at home with our full-term newborn (now 5wks old), its all new territory for me. My first didn't spit up ever, but if he did it was very rarely and not a lot, because I don't remember it at all. It seems like our new ds spits up a lot. He spits up after every feeding, and sometimes I don't even have to move him to have it happen. Sometimes its just a little, and sometimes it seems like my whole breast emptied itself onto us. Sometimes it just runs out his mouth, and sometimes its more projectile. Some days he doesn't spit up at all.... He is really difficult to burp, I can pat or rub his back for an hour and nothing, then as soon as I turn him around to cuddle, "blecchhhh" out it comes (the puke, not the burp). I can't lay him down right or change his diaper right after feeding or out it comes, and sometimes even keeping him upright doesn't keep it down. Of course, then he needs to eat again right away because he just lost all his lunch. Some days are like this around the clock "eat puke eat puke eat puke, oh yeah better change a diaper too". He usually cries if he's not eating or sleeping, but most people tell me that is normal newborn behaviour ~ again I don't know because I wasn't caring for my firstborn full-time until he was 6wks old. I've tried gripe water and sometimes it helps and sometimes it doesn't ~ or maybe its just a coincidence on good days and it isn't the gripe water that's helping, just one of those things.

Help! Is this reflux?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sounds like he has a very weak muscle, the one between the esophagus and stomach (can't remember the name).
Unless he's failing to gain weight, or doesn't wet enough diapers, or is crying in pain with the spit-up, than no real worries. The spit up should appear less as he grows.
The crying could be just colic, if it is, then it should be peaking at 6weeks. If its getting worse, or your Momma instincts are telling you to worry, then consider having ds checked out by a different Dr. Yes, it could be reflux, can't say though. There are links to other online resources that can tell you more if you search for some of the other reflux threads.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Honestly, it sounds normal to me. Both of my babies have been big spitters and what you describe sounds very familiar. You should realize that a little spit-up can really look like a lot, so I'd hesitate to say that he's really spitting up entire feedings -- even if it looks that way. One of my baby books recommends that you take a tablespoonful of water and splash it across a desk (or other surface) so that you can see that a small amount of liquid really looks like a lot.

Also, you wrote that he needs to eat again after spitting because he just barfed it all up -- not necessarily true. It may be that the spit-up is what he does instead of burping -- his way of getting an air bubble out -- and thus he's just hungry again afterward, the same way other babies want to nurse more after burping.

So, as the pp said, as long as he's growing and filling his diapers, and the spitting up doesn't seem to bother him, I wouldn't worry too much. Of course, if you really do think he's spitting up entire feedings, and/or your mama instincts are really saying something is wrong, definitely try having a different ped evaluate him.

-Joan

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks bookdad & joan, my mama instincts tell me you are right and this is nothing more than normal baby stuff. i was reading some other threads yesterday, and tried something new. I thought maybe I have overactive letdown, since he usually comes off coughing during my letdown. So when he comes off, I burp him and then put him back on. Then after letdown is finished and the flow is slower, I pull him off and burp again, then he can have the rest of his feeding burp-free until the end. I find that he burps WAY easier (I get a burp every time, after just a few pats on the back) and doesn't spit huge amounts. He rarely spits since I"ve started this, and when he does, its just a little, more what I think is a normal amount. Also, he's much more settled & peaceful between feeds (more satisfied? throat less irritated by stomach acids?). Thanks again! I love these boards, always find some great solutions from people who really know because they've been there (my dh says "so much for asking the doctor, you find more and better information on your message boards!").....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.