Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My BP has been around 119/67 most of the time. Last appointment they told me it was "borderline" at 120/80. The week before they said it was a bit higher than that, so it went done a little.

Is this something to be concerned about? My CNM didn't seem too concerned. Is it a normal late pregnancy thing for any of you?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I'm glad you posted this because at my appt yesterday, my BP was 131/XX - I remember seeing the 131 'cause it's normally like yours - anywhere from 113 - 118. The nurse didn't say anything, the OB didn't say anything... So I'm not sure. I would imagine so since we're bigger now and more blood is pumping through our veins.

·
Registered
339 Posts
this happened to me and the original BP reading wasn't that concerning - they looked at the whole picture (weight gain, urine protein dip stick, swollen feet) to determine the probability of more problems. Unfortunately my possible pre-e issues were all confirmed after lab work.

I think blood pressure is bound to go up, but it isn't concerning unless you have a flurry of other questionable changes.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It is normal for your blood pressure to return to your baseline (whatever is your pre-pregnancy normal blood pressure) towards the end of your pregnancy, but it is not normal for it to go over that. Your baseline is your pre-pregnancy normal, though, and not what you've been running for the last couple of months. (Your pressures during pregnancy are usually lower than your normal baseline during the second and early third trimester.)

Pregnancy induced hypertension starts whenever you get to 140/90 (on at least 2 occasions at least six hours apart). Some doctors also consider it to be PIH if your systolic (top number) goes up by 30 points or more from your baseline or your diastolic (bottom number) goes up by 15. That definition usually only applies to people who have low blood pressure as their baseline, however, because most of us will hit 140/90 first.

If you want more information on blood pressure issues during pregnancy, check out www.preeclampsia.org for more information. There's a lot of useful information and the forums are great for asking questions of BTDT mommas.

·
Registered
468 Posts
That's happening to me too! Mine has been 100/60 and the last few appointments it's been 120/60 or 70. They always say it's ok cause it's still a good blood pressure, but I keep thinking, but isn't it high for me? They're not worried though, so I guess it's fine!

·
Registered
452 Posts
That is an excellent question, at my last weekly appts my pressure was just a bit high on the systolic top number.....but no biggie...well last appt it was instead my lower number that was higher, it was 88 and they took my bp 3 times, the last 2 while I laid on my left side...don't know why it was that big of a deal since they didn't retake it when my top one was 124 or 126 the times before...maybe the bottom number is more worrysome? I don't know but after the 3rd try she said it was ok then..... sorry i was not help but in my case my bp has been a bit high last few times....

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
meh, i'm in this situation too. my BP has been right around 118/70 for my pregnancy until my appointment three weeks ago, when it jumped to 128/78, and then today 132/80. so, it seems to be creeping up

working w/ a cpm and lay mw (planned home birth). cpm says they have worked with women who have much higher pressures and have never risked a client out. she said if it keeps going up, we'd discuss what rates we'd be concerned about DURING labor for transfer. the big scare is placental abruption. she said i do not have any signs of pre-e, so she assumes this is simply pregnancy-induced hypertension so far.

recommendations so far:

eat cucumber, take cal/mag (2,000 mg a day of calcium w/ half mag), cut out all caffeine, keep exercising but shoot for a heart rate of around 150 or so, not higher, and talk w/ my acupuncturist next week about herbal remedies for high BP. mainly, DON'T worry or stress out

ETA: shoot, didn't realize this was in a DDC - sorry! i did a search for bp threads from "i'm pregnant." hoping to find other women experiencing the same. GL February mamas!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.