Mothering Forum banner

Normal toddler quirk or something to watch?

823 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  sapphire_chan 
#1 ·
DS recently turned 12 months old.

He has a few weird quirks... I'll list them:

- When he's walking and gets plastic stuck to his foot (a ziploc for instance) he stops and has to shake it off before he can go anywhere else. Once, it wouldn't shake off and he got really mad and started screaming at it.

- If he's crawling and gets something on his hand, like dirt, he stops and stares at his hand and then has to wipe it off before keeps going.

- Last night I was giving him advil before bed (teeth) and he grabbed the syringe and got sticky on his hand. He stared at his hand and started crying until I wiped it off.

Is this just normal toddler stuff or do I need to watch this?

#2 ·
LOL - I hope it is normal behavior because my DS does similar things. His latest thing is when he gets a crumb on his tongue. He sticks out his tongue and wants us to wipe it off. Then he wants to see it. LOL. If he has snack time and wander the house while eating snacks he'll come up to my leg with his tongue and wipe the crumb off. It's hilarious.

He does the same thing with dirt on his hands - he'll be playing just fine, but then notice dirt on his hands and holds them out. He used to get upset, but we've been showing him how to wipe his hands off. We just keep showing him over and over and it's gotten better.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by marispel View Post
LOL - I hope it is normal behavior because my DS does similar things. His latest thing is when he gets a crumb on his tongue. He sticks out his tongue and wants us to wipe it off. Then he wants to see it. LOL. If he has snack time and wander the house while eating snacks he'll come up to my leg with his tongue and wipe the crumb off. It's hilarious.

He does the same thing with dirt on his hands - he'll be playing just fine, but then notice dirt on his hands and holds them out. He used to get upset, but we've been showing him how to wipe his hands off. We just keep showing him over and over and it's gotten better.
I think it's normal both my kids hated things on their hands,(not their tongues though lol) it's just a tactile experience they dont' like...Both of my children have pretty much grown out of it, my two year old will occassionally ask to have her hands wiped but rarly...so i wouldn't worry

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ellemenope View Post
Well, I know for a fact not every child is like this. But...My child is!

My DD wont fingerpaint!

If I had a nickle for every time DD demanded her hands be wiped clean...
That reminds me: At Christmas I was trying to get a handprint out of him. We thought he'd laugh at the blue paint on his hand... NOPE. You would have thought we were torturing the kid. He screamed and cried. We had to do the prints in the bathtub so we could immediately run water for him to rinse off.

#6 ·
Heck, I STILL hate sticky fingers, and I'm a grown-up.

I think it's totally on the spectrum of 'normal.' Some kids are water rats, some are Pig Pens, others are delicate flowers who don't like for the grass to tickle their feet...maybe you will have a kid who is naturally inclined not to make crazy messes and it will be a small blessing to you. Mine is a total water rat, would flood the house if he got the chance, and loooves mushing things between his fingers.

#9 ·
Yep. A smidge of mashed potato stuck to her finger after eating with her hands and she would shake her hand vigorously until it came off. Now she holds it out to me to wipe it off.

But after splashing her hands around a dirty puddle, she doesn't care about getting her hands wiped.
:

Babies are weird. Toddlers are froot loops. And being that way is an important part of their development. But still froot loops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.