Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought we could do with some lightheartedness around here.

i thought maybe we could talk about what we are doing to normalize well....having "normal" genitals.

I change a lot of diapers around here and can often be heard talking about all things potty related with my older toddlers, so DD knows what natural penises look like.

I don't think she has any idea what a gut guy looks like,
though she knows what circumcision is and that I have cut off contact with friends that abused their children in this way after being informed against it by others and myself.

Soo, the funny part...
We are both reading the same series of books right now (The Edge Chronicles) and I was feeling particularly silly and giggling and she wanted to know why, so showed her this picture of in the book of a "Ratbird" and said "his nose looks like a penis.
"(intact of course.) I thought she would be all "ewww mommm!" but she laughed and said "hey it does!"

It wasn't a sexual referance persay, just a hey this looks like a human body part on this creature's face.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Totally agree with it. I rack my brain everyday of ways to have it normalized. What a GREAT way to put it!! I wish not just the pubilc but DRs get better educated on it. It is sad that I have to tell my sons doctor how to handle his forskin, like it is some foreign object on his body!!
:
:

Every chance I get I let him run naked. I love when people are like, is he.. did you not... uhhhh
. And i proudly reply for him that I spend 10 monthes doing EVERYTHING I could to protect him from harm and ensure that he was growing everything he needed, why would I jsut chop something off there is nothing wrong with the day he was born, or ever? I think he went through enougth that day!

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Well I had another mother stick up for intactness at a crunch-baby-oriented group meeting. Someone just commented that she didn't know what one (an intact penis) looked like. The other mother, before I could even think how to respond, simply said they are really quite cute, kinda like the baby carrots.

I was changing diapers at that moment and for a second thought of saying, 'uhhm, come on over an take a look'. A few seconds later Josh jumped up and ran off (diaperless) and I did manage to mumur, "now's your chance to see one" but I don't think anyone really realized what I was referring to(-;

And I thought it doubly special because it came from a woman who has circumcised sons who seems like she might make a different choice now.

So baby carrots-- pretty normal and 'cute'!

Jessica

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
So far (in her 8.5 months of life) dd has only seen intact penises
All her little boy friends and her father are intact. Only one little boy in her swimming class was cut
And she didn't notice because I was busy changing her clothes (which is VERY traumatic for her
) while we were in the locker room.

I've gotten rid of all the books we had that have pictures of circumcised penises and someday we hope to have a little intact brother for dd
We'll also probably let him run around naked as often as he likes to educate all the neighbors!

love and peace.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
There certainly is a discrepancy in the visual understanding of the penis between Europeans and Americans. Here we have a long tradition of intact penises being the only ones shown in art work (even Jewish Biblical characters were given the artistic version of a total restoration).

The difference is fairly simple and highly striking: upon seeing a natural penis most Europeans will think "That is a penis". Upon seeing a circumcised one they will think "That is a penis. (That has been circumcised)." If asked to conjure up an image of one it would probably include a foreskin.

With many Americans precisely the opposite is true, on a very basic level their understanding of phallic imagery is missing a component.

So how to amend this? A very tricky thing to do, two of the most famous pieces of art that include a depiction of a penis (both by Michalangelo, which tells you something about his tastes...) David and the Adam touching God detail include foreskin.

If that is not enough then
what is?

In terms of comparisons I suppose we could probably do a little better. Post-SITC Americans seem to have taken to have referring to it as a "Sher-Pi". That is actually quite a cute breed of dog (and as I have mentioned before there are certainly worse ones my penis could be compared to) but apparently this comment is seen as derogative, suggesting that it looks absurd.

The other, of course, is anteater. Once again I have difficulties seeing this as truly offensive (a silky anteater is easily amongst the most adorable creatures to be found in the wild) but once again it is meant to have negative connotations.

And I suppose when it comes to anthromorphical comparisons we could do better. And this is why I believe the dolphin is the way forward.

The similarities in shape are clear to see in the rounded curvature of the skull/glans and the "Overhang" could easily double as their snout.

And dolphins are amongst the most loved creatures in the world! Sophisticated, friendly and filled with charm. Totally positive connotations there.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Revamp
And dolphins are amongst the most loved creatures in the world! Sophisticated, friendly and filled with charm. Totally positive connotations there.
Amd the only animals beside humans that enjoy sex for pleasure!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by EastonsMom
Amd the only animals beside humans that enjoy sex for pleasure!
LOL, that would be pretty appropriate!

But to be honest I am not quite sure that I believe that: I once had two male rabbits which had sex with each other all of the time and they certainly seemed to be having a lot more fun than babies...

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I agree with Revamp that we Americans have a skewed view of what the normal penis looks like. Even now, what looks normal to me are a baby intact penis and an adult circumcised one. Intact penises are so rare among the baby boomer generation (I'm 51 years old) that once, when I saw one, my eyes bugged out.
:
: I am sooo ashamed of myself.....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by njeb
I agree with Revamp that we Americans have a skewed view of what the normal penis looks like. Even now, what looks normal to me are a baby intact penis and an adult circumcised one. Intact penises are so rare among the baby boomer generation (I'm 51 years old) that once, when I saw one, my eyes bugged out.
:
: I am sooo ashamed of myself.....
That is not a failure on your part, it is a consequence of circumstance.

There is certainly no need for shame on your part, if anybody should experience that emotion it is the doctors that made those penises that way.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trmpetplaya
someday we hope to have a little intact brother for dd
We'll also probably let him run around naked as often as he likes to educate all the neighbors!
Not all little boys love to run around naked.
While I wouldn't mind my son doing some educating this way he insists on being fully dressed at all times. He doesn't even like removing clothes to take a bath.

His 2 yo twin sister on the other hand would gladly streak the neighborhood for us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts