Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I am a Democrat anyone else? or is everyone else republicans/green party/libertarians??

Not big on Clinton, not big on Kerry either but I am a Democrat because I support a Living Wage...I am too conservative to be green or anything else. But too liberal to vote Republican.

·
Premium Member
42,757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To a degree they can be. But when it comes to the party platforms I am way more of a Democrat....like I said I am really not very excited to vote for Kerry but I have never voted for a Republican EVER so I am certainly not going to start now.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Democrat here, not a green.

I have never voted for a Republican for a statewide or national election, but I used to vote for them occasionally for local elections. After the Clinton impeachment circus, I'll never vote for another Republican for anything.

Kerry wouldn't have been my first choice, but I'm happy to vote for him.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
I'm registered dem, but I am actually much closer to the green party ideology. We'll see what I do with that as the dem party & I drift further and further away from each other.

Kay

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Marg, I think that's 'perish'. Unless that was some veiled religious comment...hmm...

I think there is a great difference between the Dems and the Repubs. Maybe part of the problem is that Repub can no longer be equated with 'conservative' and Dem can no longer be equated with 'liberal'. There are people who are economically conservative but socially liberal.

Although I think economic and social policy are somewhat intertwined, I think it's important to take a look at each one separately. I'll do economics first.

Economic policy
Among the Repubs, there is a big argument going on between the 'deficit hawks' and the 'permanent tax cuts' groups. There is another argument going on between the pre-emptive unilateralists (neocons) who believe America should seek to re-make the world in its image, and more moderate Repubs that think we should just deal with the world the way it is.

Repubs in power right now want to bankrupt the government to force a rollback of all the New Deal and other social programs currently being supported by tax dollars. Our infrastructure (health, education, welfare, veterans) has been woefully neglected.

In order to do this and achieve an economic recovery at the same time, we needed a war so we could direct huge outlays to the military complex, which is the only growth industry in the current economy (what the economists call Military Keynesianism).

No way, no how, do Dems support all this. Kerry is faced with some very difficult choices, though. Our manufacturing base is in poor shape (we lost 11K manufacturing jobs last month alone), and our trade deficit continues to grow. We have huge household debt - even Greenspan is worried about government guarantees on mortgages when our household debt is so high. Our military is over-extended, we have tremendous national debt, and our infrastructure needs attention. Kerry can't just start rebuilding the infrastructure, it would drive up the debt and weaken the economy. He doesn't want to weaken the military when we are fighting terrorists.

What he wants to do is implement some classic 'pay-as-you-go' economic policy that tackles two birds with one stone, if you will. Like stimulating job growth by creating incentives in alternative energy, which will also reduce our dependence on foreign oil. Introducing international tax reform that will encourage investment in our manufacturing base and end the tax incentive to move manufacturing overseas. Shoring up our educational infrastructure by offering educational payments for public service (military or domestic), which is needed for public safety projects like inspecting shipping containers. I think it's brilliant, innovative, and completely and utterly different from what Bush and co are doing in their economic policy.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Registered Dem here.

I voted for Nader last time...in a safe state; not this time.

I don't believe there IS a safe state this time.

But that is just me.
Joyce in the mts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts