Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a MW appointment and we tried to hear the heartbeat and could not. She is fine waiting a couple of weeks, but is concerned...should I be? She even talked about getting an u/s to check things out. Does anyone have any advice for me? Thank you.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She used a doppler, and I did want her to--I was a bit nervous because I have not felt any movement yet. It would be awful to have gone through all this sickness and end up with no baby!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't remember when my other kids' heartbeats were first heard. She had my chart today from Elowen and I first saw the MW @ 18 weeks and she did get a heartbeat.

Oh, I am kinda fat in the stomach area too
could that make a difference?

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Easier said than done, but I'd try not to worry about it. Wait another couple weeks and see if any movement starts.
You're getting bigger, but measuring to dates, right? I think molar pregnancies usually measure large.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't remember exactly when we heard the heartbeat w/ this one, but I know the first time, we had a horrible time finding it. The nurse search w/ a doppler FOREVER, then we heard 2 beats and lost it. Hopefully, the baby is playing hide and seak. Mine liked to play alot!!
Hope everything works out, hang in there!!
Terri

·
Banned
533 Posts
It's not unusual to not have felt the baby moving yet, not at all. There are a few reasons you may not hear the heartbeat, like anterior placenta and a tilted uterus, or a hiding baby. Whatever you choose to do, take heart

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
One more thing: it was here that I read that a few mn of doppler is equivalent to 30 mn of imaging u/s. (If you're worried about the safety, you could do a search for this topic.) It might make you feel better to have a quick u/s to check for a heartbeat. Only you can decide that, though.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I'd schedule an u/s but then I do a couple of those routinely anyway. We've always gotton a hb with my kiddos by 12 weeks so it would concern me, but it doesn't automatically mean that something is wrong. I'd just feel better knowing.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Just a thought.... if she is concerned, and you are obviously concerned, then why didn't she send you for an u/s there and then? It would put both minds at ease, I'm sure you don't need that added worry right now, along with everything else?
Just my thought, and am sending lots of hugs you're way.

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
homebirth midwives don't normally just send someone in for an ultrasound at the drop of a hat. Getting a US usually means having to then go find a doctor who will order one for you. Not sure if this is Morwenna's situation, but I'm pretty sure it's close.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Exactly--I would have to go find a Dr. and "pretend" that I wanted to be their patient and then get them to send me for an ultrasound. I don't like the doppler use really either--I was just thinking, quick check and I will feel better! Ha!

She wasn't sure that she even heard placenta noise--possibly on my left front. That's where she thought she might have heard it and I did too...

I wasn't all that worried--but thinking about it more, she seemed a bit worried and she's pretty conservative that way, plus all the mamas saying they would get the u/s from worry....I am starting to feel really bad about it.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts