Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Yeah thats a great article except for one small thing. He says "The American Academy of Pediatrics encourages women to feed babies breast milk exclusively for the first six months -- and continue doing so for several months after that". I think he may need to revisit that info, but otherwise a great article!

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I wrote him this letter.

Quote:
It is so refreshing to see a man with your point of view. The only men that I have encountered who are as pro-brestfeeding and breastfeeding in public as you are are my husband and my friends husbands or partners at my La Leche League meetings.

Thank you for writing that article in light of all that is going on in the war for breastfeeding tolerance. It is people like you and us mother's who will continue to breastfeed our children in public who will eventually change the American view of "breasts are sexual".

Thanks again!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Here's some of the email that I just sent to him. I'm feeling very
this morning. I must be hormonal :LOL

Quote:
I'm a mother from MA, and I'm absolutely disgusted by some of the comments that have been made about breastfeeding. Hearing these things said by women and men with sizeable audiences makes me feel so helpless as I watch and read in my livingroom, wondering how many people are nodding and smiling at the ignorance.

I feel vindicated and reassured when other journalists and television hosts speak out with words that I would've chosen myself. People are listening. All these words are being spread and are being discussed - and at this moment, your words are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by celestialdrmrmama
Yeah thats a great article except for one small thing. He says "The American Academy of Pediatrics encourages women to feed babies breast milk exclusively for the first six months -- and continue doing so for several months after that". I think he may need to revisit that info, but otherwise a great article!

Why not write a letter to the editor both correcting the AAP stance and praising the column?

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DahliaRW
Why not write a letter to the editor both correcting the AAP stance and praising the column?
Already did that earlier, including sending links to the AAP and WHO info

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
This is what I emailed to him (I talked about how it's hard in our society to have an older nursling):

Quote:
Your article "Nothing shameful about breast intentions"

Dear Mr. Jamieson,

I LOVE this article!
Thank you for writing it!
I think it is one of the best ones written yet on this recent hot topic.

I am a 38 year old NYC mom with a 38 month old son, and I attended the Nurse-In in front of ABC's headquarters in NYC last Monday, and I am feeling so encouraged and empowered by all the great responses we have gotten from the press.

My son is over 3 years old and very big for his age, and I am very self-conscious about nursing him in public, and have even found myself hiding that we do still nurse from many people - both family and friends.

Many other countries around the world do not find a nursing 3 year old as unusual, but here in the U.S. it is very unusual and not often received well.

I hope that with this great advocacy we will return to a time when breastfeeding a child of any age (measured in years, not months) is accepted and found to be the norm.

Thanks for your wonderful point of view in this matter!

Yours truly,
Adrianne

1 - 20 of 41 Posts