Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else not sure how or where they are going ot give birth?<br><br>
I am completely up in the air!<br><br>
With my first I went to a doctor and had a typical vaginal delivery. I was induced. Epidural worked great and after pushing for 45 min. she came out fine.<br><br>
Second I went to a different doctor but it was also pretty typical. Went into labor on my own but then got pitocin to hurry things up. Got the epi, which worked up until I pushed and then it wore off and out she came in 2 pushed.<br><br>
So here comes the third, I figured, I didnt the second without an epi pretty much, why not have a home birth. So I spent three days in labor. When the midwife showed up I was only 3cm. I wanted to scream!!! Contraction later, blood started to flow and we made the decision to go to the hospital. I was strep positive so the hospital made me have antibiotics for 4 hours. I decided to have an epi then so I could rest. I was so tired. After the 4 hours they broke my water and out came baby in 1 push. The resident ended up delivering because the doc didnt make it.<br><br>
Now for our 4th. I dont want to go back to that doctor. He was terribly rude to my MW. DH, who was against the HB from the beginning asked if I wanted a HB this time and I said no. He said he was glad I learned my lesson!!<br><br>
I am so confused at what I want now. I dont want a HB because we really cant afford it. That was dh's main pet peeves about it last time.<br><br>
What I do want:<br>
to be comfortable<br>
not hooked to wires<br>
no PIT<br>
walk around<br>
eat<br>
watch movies<br>
and #1 is to have the older 2 kids there!

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
How about a free standing birth center?<br>
Or A midwife/doula and an ob that way you can decide at the last min. if you want to go in.<br>
or just going in at the last min. can be helpful bcs then they don't have time to hook you up to anything.<br>
Definately switch dr's though.<br>
You still have a lot of time to figure it out.<br>
Can you find a midwife that is covered on your insurance? That way you could get your pre-natal coverage through her and switch later if you decide to do a hosp. birth.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
For my second we decided on a free standing birth center. It was great middle ground for us. I didn't want a hospital and my husband didn't want home. I ended up going to a hospital anyway but my midwife was in the surgical room with us and the doctors were very nice to her.

·
Registered
999 Posts
i'm torn. i had a caesarean the first time after a hellish attempt at vaginal birthing. i'm ok about it, it was the right thing to do. i live in a smaller town now, and they don't do VBACS. period. they do scheduled repeat caesareans.<br><br>
if i go to the city, i can attempt a VBAC. but there are only two hospitals that will do it, and i've had bad experiences in both (one was a breach of confidentiality, the other was the abovementioned fiasco of a birth).<br><br>
i'm having a really tough time deciding which is more important to me - having a more natural birth, or birthing at the hospital i like which is also close to all my family? probably the latter, but then i'll have to deal with the "loss of a dream" to have a more natural birth.<br><br>
i talked to my doula from my first, and she said she'd definitely come out of town to help out if i want. now i just have to work it into the finances, because if i do a repeat caesarean birth, i'd like to at least have a doula.<br><br>
as for you, i definitely think you should drop the doctor you're not comfortable with. a freestanding birth centre sounds like a good idea, with a midwife and doula. i think that would maximize your chances of being mobile and letting things progress naturally.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts