Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have been doing a lot of walking lately... today the whole family went on a two-mile outdoor walk (lovely walking path just on the outside of town.. lots of hills and such too).. and we did the same thing yesterday... and we walked at a pretty brisk pace too (yes, I'm Plenty. Ready. to have this baby)... and then a bit later I had to go to the grocery store to get things for dinner... but while walking down an aisle, I had to stop walking because of the tightening of my belly.

Is this just from overdoing things? Or might this walking stuff actually be doing what it's supposed to and my uterus is gearing up for the real deal? (hopefully soon!!)

(yes, this IS my fourth pregnancy/child... but I've never spontaneously gone into labor on my own before.. or had any BHs at all ... just gone far enough overdue that I was hospitally induced with the last three.. soooo.. this is all new to me!)

· Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And ... gosh.. this seems so silly.. but, how do I know the difference between a 'real' contraction and a BH? Is it simply timing?

Because.. I'm totally sitting down now (and have been for a while.. uploading some pics and such).. and just had tightening of the uterus (I'm always leary of saying contraction for some reason?!?) and it even kind of caught my breath ... it wasn't crazy strong or anything.. just not a wimpy one either...

· Registered
634 Posts
I think it comes down to timing at this point. They're all real contractions (and pain is good! It means your body is doing work!), but it's labor when they start actively dilating your cervix. That usually requires the contractions to last a certain amount of time, and they USUALLY come more and more regularly and last longer.

Come on baby! you can do it!

· Registered
7,286 Posts
My normal BHs are pretty tight and I feel downward pressure and I get sort of breathless, but if this is not what you normally experience, you could really be in early labor. Go have sex
Maybe it'll get things going!

· Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
My normal BHs are pretty tight and I feel downward pressure and I get sort of breathless, but if this is not what you normally experience, you could really be in early labor. Go have sex
Maybe it'll get things going!
I *think* I've had a few like this before, but not nearly as frequently as today after walking.

And of course dh just left for a class :eyeroll ... so... I'll have to wait until he gets back

I'm not in a HUGE hurry (since in my own baby pool I did pick SUNDAY as the day), but gosh.. I'd just love for SOMETHING to happen... and to know that something REAL is happening... this whole waiting thing is driving me completely over the edge.. especially since I keep thinking, "Is this the real thing?" with every twinge... sheesh!

· Registered
7,286 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by judybean View Post
I *think* I've had a few like this before, but not nearly as frequently as today after walking.

And of course dh just left for a class :eyeroll ... so... I'll have to wait until he gets back

I'm not in a HUGE hurry (since in my own baby pool I did pick SUNDAY as the day), but gosh.. I'd just love for SOMETHING to happen... and to know that something REAL is happening... this whole waiting thing is driving me completely over the edge.. especially since I keep thinking, "Is this the real thing?" with every twinge... sheesh!
Did you end up trying to check your own cervix? I couldn't find mine, then I had a few days of lots of cramps and bh and then I found it and it felt dilated!

· Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As of yesterday I actually think I was finally able to find my cervix (but just barely... didn't get a whole lot of digging around down there before I was being paged by children through.)... but that was the first time finally! I'll have to check later and *fingerscrossed* hope that something is going on!!

· Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
Maybe go for a lot of EPO, too?
I was thinking this... but since I'm kind of new to the EPO idea (though I've gained a lot of knowledge from reading other posts..)... what would be "a lot" do you think? I mean, I don't want to go TOO CRAZY overboard or something (like.. maybe 23 EPO pills is too much?! lol ... yes, I'm exaggerating
)... but don't want to go too light on things if they're actually moving along.

(especially since according to my inital calculations, my EDD should be tomorrow. My midwife has it as Saturday, which is fine, but when I figured it originally, I came up with tomorrow every time).

· Registered
7,286 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by judybean View Post
I was thinking this... but since I'm kind of new to the EPO idea (though I've gained a lot of knowledge from reading other posts..)... what would be "a lot" do you think? I mean, I don't want to go TOO CRAZY overboard or something (like.. maybe 23 EPO pills is too much?! lol ... yes, I'm exaggerating
)... but don't want to go too light on things if they're actually moving along.

(especially since according to my inital calculations, my EDD should be tomorrow. My midwife has it as Saturday, which is fine, but when I figured it originally, I came up with tomorrow every time).
I think my midwife said to do 1000 mg/night last time? vaginally. It was two horse-pill type pills, when I did it, but she had me starting at 37 weeks. I haven't started it this time... i'm gonna wait until I'm officially 37 weeks, I guess? As far as i know it's safe to do more than that, but you could start with that and see if it causes any changes, maybe? I know some people stab the ends, but I never did, just stuck them up there and they sorta disintegrate, I guess.
Some people squeeze it out and apply it directly to the cervix, though.

ETA... personally, I think doing 5 or 6 would be going overboard, but that's probably because I'm too lazy to stuff that many up there. I have no real information on what would be too much, though.

· Registered
4,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay.. I've done the two pill (yes! horsepills! weird things, anyway) thing sporadically since 37 weeks-ish. I did last night, I know... and I did poke holes in the ends of them and just shoved them on up there (haha.. gosh.. the things we do for babies).

I should be more 'regular' about it.. because I have been induced three times.. and each time the inductions began with ripening the cervix.. and then things took off and went great... so, I know once it happens for me, things should get to moving well (in theory).

I think the mg total for two pills with the kind I have is just over 1000... and that's what I've been doing, so I'll stick with it! Thanks
(just figured I'd make sure I was 'doing it right' or something..lol)

· Registered
7,286 Posts
Yeah! definitely do it more regularly. But then... I didn't do it regularly w/Ds, either, and hadn't done it in a week or so, but then I did the night before I went into labor with him, so just go for it whenever you remember

· Registered
606 Posts
Hopefully something happens (labor!!) for you soon!

I'm 35.5 weeks and have been having a lot of BHs. I have trouble walking through them as well. They don't hurt, there is just so much pressure and they are so tight!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.