Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is my first post here. I'm not really sure if I need advice, or just need to vent. My baby is about 2 and a half weeks old. When we took her to her first pediatrician visit at 3 days old, she hadn't pooped for 2 of those days and was looking yellow (a little jaundice at this age is normal, I know, but I didn't want it to get worse from not pooping). The doctor had us give her a suppository, and then she pooped, but didn't poop again for 3 days. When went back to the pediatrician 2 days later and since she had gained some weight, she wasn't too concerned that the baby wasn't pooping, since she was peeing. But she did say that we may need to consider formula if she wasn't peeing (never the problem) Anyway, her 2 week check up was on Monday, and she wasn't up to her birth weight yet (6lbs 13 oz at birth, 6 lbs 11oz at day 15). The NP wants us to come back for another weight check on Friday. Again, she said that we may have to consider formula at that time. Anyway, the baby is pooping and peeing like crazy now, which I told the NP (and she saw for herself, as I changed the baby twice during the visit). She also wants me to try to feed the baby every 2 hours during the day (since the baby is still cluster feeding) and not let her go more than 3 hours without feeding at night, to get the baby to feed "more efficiently."
I am not willing to resort to formula for 2 ounces, especially since they were taken on different scales. However, my confidence has hit rock bottom. I now feel like I am not making enough milk for my baby, and its making me really depressed. I am drinking mother's milk tea, increasing my water intake, and trying breast compression when she feeds (tips from kellymom and LLL websites). Yesterday, I broke down and bought a pump (hoping that extra stimulation will increase supply). Last night when I pumped immediately after a feeding, I only got maybe 5cc from both breasts. Ok, it was right after a feed, so no big deal. But today I pumped while the little one napped, about an hour after she finished feeding. I got less than 10 cc from both breasts, after 10 minutes of pumping (most of that ten minutes, nothing was coming out). That seems inadequate.
Do you think I have too little milk? Although I never really feel "heavy," my breast are firmer before feeds than after. They leak like crazy at night, and I often see milk trickling down my daughter's face after feedings. Anything else I should do to bring up my supply?
Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any help.

· Registered
4,103 Posts
I would wait and see what her weight is at on Friday. If she is pooping and peeing a lot now I think you are probably doing just fine.

I haven't pumped but have heard from other mom's that do that often times you will not get very much and you can't really judge how much milk you are making from that.

Is she eating several times through the night?

· Premium Member
15,767 Posts
Pumping is not a good measure of how much milk you are actually producing. A pump is never as effective as a baby, well a baby that is nursing properly anyway. Some women can get ozs and ozs when pump, others will get 10ccs. I'm one of those as well, on a great day I am thrilled to get 1 ozs in a sitting. Other times I didn't even get enough milk to cover the bottom of the bottle, yet I have a 4m who weighs 16 lbs. So he certainly isn't starving to death.

It sounds like you are on the right track, keep up what you are doing and see what her weight is on Friday. I'm with you about not introducing formula over 2 ozs. Now if you were talking about her weight still being well below her birthrate then yes something is going on that needs to be addressed, but 2 ozs is really close. And the regain the birthweight by 2 weeks is just another guideline, just like the double the weight by 6 months, etc... Some babies are goign to met it and others aren't, the trick is to look at the big picture, how is everything else doing.

High bilirubin levels make the baby sleepy and lethergic, they don't want to nurse as often. Bilirubin is excreted in poop, the more she pooped the better they get. And in order to get them to do that you usually have to feed them lots! So it sounds like that was your issue in the beginning, sleepy baby+not nursing as often+high bilirubin levels= slower weight gain. And some babies just gain slower then others as well.

· Registered
1,827 Posts
I agree to wait and see what the next weight check says, but everything honestly sounds fine to me. If baby is taking it in, baby will put it out and you said your daughter is having lots of wet/dirty diapers.

Some of the best breastfeeding advice I got was from a friend of mine who simply said, "Don't over think it!"

Baby who is gaining + Baby who is gaining weight = mommy with plenty of milk

Keep up the good work!

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to relax and just let the baby do her own thing until her next weight check. I think I just needed a place to vent, as I'm not usually one to let people discourage me and lose faith in my body. Hopefully she's gaining (the way she's gulping it down right now, how could she not be?), but if not I'll be looking for a good LC.

· Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: 6lbs 13oz today! Back at birthweight on day 19. Enough for the NP not to suggest formula! She does want me to pump though after all day time feedings, which is tough, but I think we can manage. Plus, her daddy likes giving her the tiny bit of milk I get.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.