Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 21-22 weeks along, abouts. I have felt some flutterings, but I really don't know if it's really that or maybe gas moving in there? I know this is my 7th, but I swear I could already feel my other ones by this time. I lie on my stomach at night time before I fall asleep to see if I can feel anything, and I really can't feel anything.

I know this sounds dumb, but for insurance reasons, I can't go in until Sept. 8th, for the 1st time. When DH quit his last job with insurance, we didn't know we were really expecting yet, and we thought insurance would be offered somehow with his new job, and it wasn't. He quit that job after 6 weeks, and went to a new job in July, but insurance doesn't start until Sept. 1st. My doctor is 5 hrs away because of the PPO that we will be in. I don't have the money to pay $400 upfront for a sono until then. I don't feel bad, so there is no reason to go in at all. I just haven't felt the baby move really.

I really think things will be ok, and I have 4 weeks until I go in. I just hope things will happen soon.
:

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
I don't have any really great wisdom (I'm far from a pregnancy expert), but I do know how difficult it is to worry about a pregnancy. It really stinks that you have to wait so long to go in.....insurance can be such a stressor.

Those flutterings are likely the baby. I'll keep you in my thoughts, and send big-kicking vibes to your baby so that your mind can be eased!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
I wonder if you have an anterior placenta with this one? When the placenta sits in the front you don't feel as much. My placenta was like this with my first and she never kicked (from my perspective). I felt a lot of squirming and shifting when she got bigger, but not the nice kicks and jabs that are so fun to feel. And not much early on but it was my first so who knows....

You are feeling flutters and some movement so baby is doing fine in there. I bet there is something like placental positioning which is dampening the feel of his/her kicks.

That is hard that you don't get to go in for so long. Hugs Mama.

ND

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
My placenta is also up front and to the right this pg. Subsequently I feel the baby on the left and below. Some days I barely feel anything and assume she's moved over to the right side again.

Can you see someone with a doppler to hear the heartbeat in the meantime? Just hearing that little thump-thump-thump might help until you can go in Sept.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Actually the doppler idea is great. You can rent it for a month - you will get it in a day or so, it will cost you around $25-30. Also, are you showing? After so many babies you probably should. If the baby is developing properly, he needs room. Did you gain any weight?

·
Registered
702 Posts
IA about the anterior placenta. I had one with my last pg & it seemed like it took forever to feel real movement. More likely than not that's what's going on with you.

Sorry to hear about your insurance issues. That can be so tough having to wait things out you'd rather do sooner just because of insurance. BTDT...no fun!

Shannon

P.S. I like your siggy link

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I agree with the previous posters with regard to an anterior placenta. While I dont have one, I know several women who have/do and it was difficult for them to feel much movement, especially kicks and punches. If you're feeling any movements at all and it's not followed by gas being expelled by your body, chances are it's your baby.

I very highly recommend renting a doppler. Mine completely saved my sanity until I could feel my little guy move!

Ugh! I'd be nuts if I hadn't been to the doctor yet. I'm so sorry you've had to wait so long!

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
If you are getting very anxious about this and it is causing you trouble, the doppler may be something to consider. I rented a doppler too in this pregnancy. It was easy to do and cost about $30 for a month. After my losses it was pretty horrendous in the early months. The safety of doppler is debated, but with infrequent, short use, you can minimize exposure............

ND

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
I don't know where you are (I'm guessing Utah
), but you can get an ultrasound here for $160. Maybe you should call around and see if anyone will cut you a deal. Especially if you pay cash.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Before you spend money on renting a doppler you might want to try with a regular old stethoscope. I'm 24 wks today and I've been finding baby's heartbeat with my cheap old stethoscope for 3 weeks now. Maybe you can borrow one if you don't have your own. If you do have an anterior placenta it might be tricky to find the heartbeat, especially if you don't have experience with what a fetal heartbeat sounds like through a fetoscope or stethoscope. I brought my fetoscope to my OB visit and the resident had never used one before and couldn't find the heartbeat. She was very sweet about it. I can't believe drs are only trained with dopplers. Anyway, just a suggestion... The doppler's probably a good idea if you can't find the hb another way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.