*tired all the time
*irritable
*feel particulary horrible on waking up in the morning
*want to nap, but can't
*hungry all the time, and eating a lot, but at my skinniest ever
*developed a skin rash last year which was diagnosed as psoriasis
*rapid aging -- seems like I aged 10 years in four
*just not feeling 'right'

I've had two children in a four-year-period, and haven't had a good night's sleep since DS1 was born. Both my babies woke every 1-2 hours at night. I'm And I have always needed a lot of sleep. So I think that the lack of sleep is the main cause of my problems, although something else might be going on as well. I am still bf-ing DD2, trying to eat a whole foods diet, and taking good probiotics.

I know that I need to see a naturopath, but we are living in Nigeria at the moment and there are no naturopaths here.

Any input truly appreciated!

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
I think maybe a thyroid problem. If you google hyper- and hypothyroid most of those fit, but it could be something else. Can you get into a regular MD and have tests run?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies. Yes, I have suspected all of the above -- hyperthyroid, adrenal fatigue and/or parasites/liver issues. (Been in Africa for 4 years, so I definitely have a bunch of parasites in me.)

Sigh -- I guess I can't go any further with this without getting tests. I will have to wait until the next time I am in Canada.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Do you eat gluten? I've finally figured out that the symptoms I've had since my dd's birth are from nutrient deficiencies caused by a gluten intolerance.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wagamama View Post
Thank you for the replies. Yes, I have suspected all of the above -- hyperthyroid, adrenal fatigue and/or parasites/liver issues. (Been in Africa for 4 years, so I definitely have a bunch of parasites in me.)

Sigh -- I guess I can't go any further with this without getting tests. I will have to wait until the next time I am in Canada.
Well, it might not be quite that hopeless. I have many of your symptoms too, and although I have been tested for the biggies by my mainstream MD I haven't had any testing that's been helpful at ID'ing AF vs. subclinical hypothyroid, etc. But I have started to incorporate the things that I can from the AF thread and I feel a lot better already and can now predict my bad days. So I think there are things you can do to get you started that won't be harmful no matter what is going on - things like limiting sugar intake, eliminating caffeine, trying to get more good quality sleep, incorporating stress reduction measures (meditation, yoga, etc.), eating whole foods...

Hope you feel better soon, Mama.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by deditus View Post
Do you eat gluten? I've finally figured out that the symptoms I've had since my dd's birth are from nutrient deficiencies caused by a gluten intolerance.
I eat gluten, so it's a possibility. What were your symptoms, and how did you figure it out?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurieG View Post
Well, it might not be quite that hopeless. I have many of your symptoms too, and although I have been tested for the biggies by my mainstream MD I haven't had any testing that's been helpful at ID'ing AF vs. subclinical hypothyroid, etc. But I have started to incorporate the things that I can from the AF thread and I feel a lot better already and can now predict my bad days. So I think there are things you can do to get you started that won't be harmful no matter what is going on - things like limiting sugar intake, eliminating caffeine, trying to get more good quality sleep, incorporating stress reduction measures (meditation, yoga, etc.), eating whole foods...

Hope you feel better soon, Mama.
Thanks. You are right, there are many small, sensible steps I can take. I limit sugar (mostly just have raw honey), but I do enjoy a cup of black tea every morning and can't seem to give it up. Do you think one cup a day makes a difference?

·
Registered
18,562 Posts
Stress and pregnancy and bfing can all drain your system badly of nutrients and energy. It may take years to recover. Make sure you are getting your Omega 3's, iron, other vitamins. I was having similar symptoms. First of all I had to be treated for mild depression and started to feel lots better. Secondly, I had some blood tests to rule out thyroid, anemia and so on. However after my hair started to fall out I went to a dermatologist. She tested me for ferritin, which is a little different than testing for anemia outright. I had low ferratin but was not anemic yet. I started to take iron and the hair grew back, and started to take Omegas, got more sleep, and am feeling lots better. Not 100% but better.

Good luck!

·
Registered
116 Posts
You are exhaused, mama, exhausted. BF does use up a lot of energy (that's why it burns 500 calories a day). Add to that lack of sleep and caring for lo's. Hmm, it only makes sense that you would be drained. I tend to agree with LaurieG.

It is probably impossible, but I hope you will be able to find a way to get some quality sleep and keep consuming the good calories.

:

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wagamama View Post
I eat gluten, so it's a possibility. What were your symptoms, and how did you figure it out?

Only because I went gluten free for my nursling's eczema, constipation, lack of weight gain, etc. I never would have guessed it would make so much differance in how I felt. I am no where near as tired, depressed, my hair is no longer falling out like crazy, my dandruff and acne went away, just a bunch of low level things that added all up to being miserable are on their way out. I am needing to supplement with some good vitamins and minerals to get my nutritional stores back.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Me too! Ds just turned 3 last month & ever since his birth, I haven't felt "well".

I was diagnosed with pretty severe adrenal fatigue which makes me feel better because at least there's something on paper that says that I SHOULD feel this way, you know?

I'm tired of it though, I want my life back. I've been nursing for 6.5 years non-stop, nursed through a pregnancy & tandemed for a while. I haven't had a full night's sleep in I can't even remember how long - YEARS. I'm stressed, emotionally & physically.

I went to a WAPF meeting on Wednesday & the topic of discussion was detoxing. I think a good detox would help me & I know I need to replenish minerals & nutrients that have been lost during all of these pregnancies & years of nursing. BUT, I can't detox until I stop bfing. Ds isn't ready & honestly, I'm not ready either. I'd love to continue to nurse him for another year or two. But for the past couple of days, I've been thinking, "well, what if I wean him & detox & replenish my nutrient/mineral stores & feel like my old self again?" I don't know....but I'm with you.

My thyroid always tests fine but my ND says that the thyroid is always affected in adrenal fatigue. I can't seem to get out of zone 7 (the most severe), but I am showing improvement according to my saliva testing. I know it's slow going, but it's sooooo exhausting.

I'm also with you on the weight loss issue. I've always (ever since having babies & while breastfeeding) had trouble maintaining my weight. I seemed to reach my usual weight after Ds was born once I cut out gluten, but it could have been that it was just the time when my body was finally able to catch up. I haven't experienced any PMS though, since cutting out gluten & I tested + for gluten allergy in skin & saliva testing, so I think it helped possibly in more ways than I know.

I eat such a nutrient dense diet & am not sure how much more I can do diet-wise.

I've always said, if I could just have a week or two by myself, at a beach house with no responsibilities, I think I could do a lot of healing. My ND says it would take more like 6 months - hahaha.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.