Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>I am not a frequent poster here, but I'm getting desperate...My sweet DS3 is 7.5 months old and ebf for the most part. I have been offering solids since 6 mos., but he very rarely accepts and if so it is an insignificant amount.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Besides an intially shallow latch we hadn't had nursing problems and he was gaining weight fine. He went from just under 7lbs. to 18ish lbs. in about 4 months. Then he stopped gaining.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I took him to his ped with my concerns at 5.5 months, and it turned into a big lecture on not bringing him to his wbv and bring him back in a month so THEY can check his weight (only nurses can accurately use a scale apparently duh). So we took him back and he had gained 1 ounce. In 1 month. Besides not having gained the month before also. All that was said was it was a little concerning and "we'll keep an eye on that" HUH? He had nothing helpful to say and when I pressed he told me to "push the food." (He is the only non-vax okay ped w/our insurance plan, so switching is not an option for us at the point.)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>He nurses often, I don't really count and it varies, but he nurses basically continuously from 8pm-8am and several times (I would estimate 6-8) each day. I sometimes pump and feed him from a cup so I know he IS getting milk. He is satisfied after nursing, but he is just not gaining any weight. I am getting more and more concerned and I can't seem to find any information as to why he wouldn't be gaining when he is eating/pooping normally. I know weight gain should slow, but I didn't think stop. He has recently (last few weeks, maybe a month) started to be much more active, but this started before.?</p>

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
<p>Jack Newman has a good handout on slow weight gain after good weight gain: <a href="http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47:slow-weight-gain-following-early-good-weight-gain&catid=5:information&Itemid=17" target="_blank">http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47:slow-weight-gain-following-early-good-weight-gain&catid=5:information&Itemid=17</a></p>
<p> </p>
<p>That may give you a place to start.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Has he been checked for tongue-tie?  I've seen tongue-tied babies grow well until even 9 months, just on mama's fast letdown, and then stop gaining. </p>

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
<p>I don't have any good advice, but I wanted to say that DD only gained about a half a pound from 6-9 months, with no apparent reason. her weight gain did pick up a ton when she started to be more into solids, and she gained 3 lbs in the next 3 months. she's still small for her age, but steadily climbing back onto the growth chart. (By 12 months she was up to the same weight I had been at 12 months, as well as all three of my sisters). </p>

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
<p>Hi Mama,</p>
<p>Both of my DDs had gained up to 18-ish lbs by 6 months and then completely stopped gaining.  DD1 still weighed 18 lbs at 18 months, and then started gaining again.  DD1 is 16 months old and is only 18 1/2 lbs. </p>
<p>Both kids stopped gaining weight once they started sitting, crawling, walking, running, and climbing.  All of their excess calories went towards movement. </p>
<p>Is your LO hitting developmental milestones in a somewhat timely manner?  If he is, then I wouldn't worry tooo much about a lack of weight gain.  It sounds like he is at a good spot to slow down on the growth curve.</p>
<p>~maddymama</p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts