Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We borrowed the Disney DVD of A Wrinkle In Time ... not too bad an adaptation of the book, for my daughter's strep-throat recovery.

Which has prompted my HG son to ask me, 'Do I have a very special mind?' (or however Charles Wallace is described).

Oh, not my favorite question of the day. I hope I walked the line between making them feel diminished and making them feel haughty.

I couldn't come up with a good enough sidestep. I probably should have just not answered. What? Huh? Anyone want ice cream?

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
I'm sure the day-to-day impression makes more of an impression
than whatever the answer was. Y'know?

DH is always saying, The kid just asked you a question! And I'm: I know, shhh!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Every mother thinks their baby has a very special mind, your mind is
incredibly special.

At least that still works with my 3 year old...

If that didn't do it, I think I would just try to tell them matter of factly that yes they are very smart and add in a few of the other qualities about them that I dearly love.

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I thought that movie adaptation was just awful, FWIW.

I agree with daytripper. I would have said "I think every mind is special -- and yours is no exception. Is it special in the same way as Charles Wallace's? Well, no. Everybody is different. Yours is special in its own way." That would certainly have kept my kids happy -- but they're not in school, comparing their learning to others' on a daily basis.

Miranda

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moominmamma View Post
I thought that movie adaptation was just awful, FWIW.

I agree with daytripper. I would have said "I think every mind is special -- and yours is no exception. Is it special in the same way as Charles Wallace's? Well, no. Everybody is different. Yours is special in its own way." That would certainly have kept my kids happy -- but they're not in school, comparing their learning to others' on a daily basis.

Miranda
I agree with every word.

·
Registered
15,067 Posts
I'm with Miranda; I thought that adaptation was horrendous.
I was deeply disappointed. I'd also have probably said that each mind is special in it's own way, and that I thought my children all had "very special minds."

When Bean was about two, he saw a commercial for one of those "learning toys" and told me that I needed to buy it for him "so I can be a genius, too." I told him that being a genius wasn't all that important, and that commercials were meant to make you feel like you needed things you really didn't. Kids get weird things from television.
:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.