Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since our religious leaders will not speak out against the war in Iraq,
since our political leaders don't have the moral courage to oppose it,
since Bush is wasting 40 MILLION dollars on his inauguration party... while the soldiers have inadequate armor and too few of them to
create or maintain peace in Iraq...

Inauguration Day, Thursday, January 20th, 2005 is "Not One Damn Dime Day" in America.

On "Not One Damn Dime Day" those who oppose what is happening in our name in Iraq can speak up with a 24-hour national boycott of all forms of consumer spending.

During "Not One Damn Dime Day" please don't spend money. Not one damn dime for gasoline. Not one damn dime for necessities or for impulse purchases. Not one damn dime for anything for 24 hours.

On "Not One Damn Dime Day," please boycott Wal-Mart, Kmart, HEB, Target, 7-11, supermarkets, liquor stores/bars, movie theaters, etc etc
etc... Not even Starbucks.

Please don't go to the mall or the local convenience store. Please don't buy any fast food (or any groceries at all for that matter).

For 24 hours, please do what you can to shut the retail economy down.

The object is simple. Remind the people in power that the war in Iraq
is immoral and illegal; that they are responsible for starting it and that it is their responsibility to stop it.

"Not One Damn Dime Day" is to remind them, too, that they work for the
people of the United States of America, not for the international
corporations and K Street lobbyists who represent the corporations and
funnel cash into American politics.

"Not One Damn Dime Day" is about supporting the troops. The
politicians put the troops in harm's way.

Now 1,200 brave young Americans and (some estimate) 100,000 Iraqis have died. The politicians owe our troops a plan - a way to come home.

There's no rally to attend. No marching to do. No left or right wing
agenda to rant about. On "Not One Damn Dime Day" you take action by doing nothing.

You open your mouth by keeping your wallet closed.

For 24 hours, nothing gets spent, not one damn dime, to remind our
religious leaders and our politicians of their moral responsibility to end the war in Iraq and give America back to the people.

Please share this email with as many people as possible.

·
Premium Member
19,789 Posts
Quote:
my friend is holding a benefit for women against military maddness, vets for peace can i still go?
I think I must be getting confused about this day.

As long as you had gassed up in advance, can't you *go* places?

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
maya - it's a great zip, funky nieghborhoods - supposedly the most diverse in texas??? or something like that??? i don't know. 78704peace is the local motto.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Has anyone here given any thought as to how this will affect small business owners?

Also, as one of my acquaintances pointed out, there is no real lasting effect to this sort of protest. All it means is that the lines at the grocery store and gas station will be horrendously long the day before and day after.

There's a whole page on this at Snopes.com.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/not1dime.asp

"....the suggested scheme is one of the least effective forms of symbolic protest one could devise: it literally proposes that people do nothing, and doing nothing generates little, if any, publicity or news coverage." - Snopes

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
You know, even if it makes no difference, I feel better about trying to do something. Does it mean I won't buy those groceries/gas at all? Of course not. In my family, we try hard to not consume so much stuff anyway, so it probably won't make much difference in the scheme of things. We try hard to support local businesses/owners, etc. We research our buying options as much as possible.

Sort of like "civil disobedience" only instead of not paying our taxes, we're just not consuming for a day and wearing black. A weird form of free speech perhaps, but truly, it doesn't hurt anybody and I like that I'm making a difference even if it's only on a very small, personal level.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by loftmama
You know, even if it makes no difference, I feel better about trying to do something.
Well, I guess I agree with the Snopes folks. I don't see this sort of protest as doing something..... it's more like doing nothing. It won't attract any attention from the corporate giants who support Bush.... they can do without sales for a day and still be rolling in dough. It won't get any media coverage, either.

But it will "make a difference" to the Mom and Pop down the street. No sales for a day can really hurt them.

I'm not saying that you are one of these people, but I think lots of folks jump on the bandwagon without giving much thought to the matter. That's all.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.