Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
1,371 Posts
I found that so disappointing. Especially that they left it to the last minute..she must have been crushed.

I read an article that mentioned both the singing and the fireworks. There were tons of comments by people ignoring the little girl's situation and just saying that the media is being too hard on China. WTF?

· Registered
1,187 Posts
...eh. It's all showbiz. Smoke and mirrors and pretty faces. Don't see why the Olympics has to be any more 'real' than your typical prime time program. Do I agree with it? Nuh uh. What are my views on China? *censored* But this isn't the biggest deal to me - it's just part of the biz

· Banned
5,645 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Breathless Wonder View Post
I don't really care about the fireworks, but my heart breaks for that little girl.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainCoastMama View Post
...eh. It's all showbiz. Smoke and mirrors and pretty faces. Don't see why the Olympics has to be any more 'real' than your typical prime time program. Do I agree with it? Nuh uh. What are my views on China? *censored* But this isn't the biggest deal to me - it's just part of the biz

:
:

Fireworks- eh, it was a show. I don't feel cheated in anyway.
The girls- not cool. Did y'all see pics of the other girl? She looks just like any other little girl- full of possibility and of course, beautiful!

I am bugged that looks matter so much.

· Registered
448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jster View Post
poor girl and her family, I'd not want to let my daughter's voice be used if her face wasn't portrayed as well. Or let my daughter's face be portrayed if her voice wasn't being heard, either.
It's China. You probably wouldn't have too much input into the decision either way.

· Registered
11,809 Posts
I think that's pretty messed up. The real singer was also very cute not that it should matter. I hate that people are deemed worthy based on some arbitrary ideal of what beauty is. And it's not just in China.
I hurt for that precious girl and the damage that probably did to her self- esteem. Just shameful.

· Registered
1,997 Posts
Personally, I think the focus should be on "stage presence" as opposed to "cuteness." The singer is beautiful... but she also has a quieter, shyer, more thoughtful face, as opposed to the bright, outgoing, smiley face of the girl who was shown. It wasn't that the girl "wasn't cute enough" (IMO) it was that although her voice is beautiful, at 7 years old and with her personality and characteristics she couldn't portray the stage presence they were looking for. It is still an honor that her voice was used, and she was probably (just guessing here) relieved that she didn't have to go out there and face a billion people. I'm thinking of my own little girl at 5... even if she had the most amazing vocal talent in the world, she would not do well singing at an event like that. It takes a special kind of show-off to be able to perform like the "model" did. The only way she'd be able to participate would be in a situation like this one where she could sing in a studio.

They were putting on a show. I don't think this is such a scandal if it was handled in a positive way for the little girl. The international papers proclaiming her "not cute enough" is certainly not positive.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.