Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ds will be 4 on Sunday, and still isn't potty trained. We've been working on it since last Christmas, with varying degrees of success. Back in the spring, he was doing fine peeing in the potty. Not so much with poop. Then we moved, and understandably he regressed. We kept working on it. Not pushing, just asking him if he needed to go, mostly just gentle reminders. This summer, he was completely there for a few weeks. No accidents at all. I was even ready to cut out the diapers at night. Then one day. it was just like he didn't care any more, and the accidents started again. I can't come up with any reason for it. So here we are now. He only wants to wear undies, but he only pees in the potty about 1/2 the time. Poop is even less frequent. The thing now is that he doesn't want help going potty. But he just goes in the bathroom and plays in the potty. Yuck! So then I go with him, but he won't go. I'm going crazy here!

·
Registered
502 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nikel1979 View Post
The thing now is that he doesn't want help going potty. But he just goes in the bathroom and plays in the potty. Yuck! So then I go with him, but he won't go. I'm going crazy here!

No ideas on the other part but with this I would just tell him the potty is for peeing/pooping in and if he plays in the toilet then he will have to come out of the bathroom. If it is the water he enjoys playing offer to let him play in the kitchen sink instead.
Good luck!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've heard for girls it is between 2. 5 and 3.5 and for boys it is between 3 and 4 so he is right in the realm. I am not a counselor, but it also seems like with the sudden change you could look at what is going on around him, any big changes, moves, new siblings, new preschool, a death in the family, a parent moved away, maybe even that you are more stressed with something in your life etc. If nothing major has happened, and I don't want to freak you out at all, but feel I need to mention that I have heard if there is sudden regression there could be some abuse going on. I am not sure if that is only with girls, it must also be with boys right? Just to be on the safe side, double check who you leave him with? I hate to bring that to the table but it happens and we need to protect our little guys!

I am sure it is all part of the learning process and he is having second thoughts but had to add that last bit.

Hope this helps just a little bit!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it's abuse, but I'll be extra aware. He's very rarely away from me.

One thought I had tonight. He's always been rather easily defeated and sensitive. He tends to do most things a bit later than average (guess that partially answers my q huh?), and his sister's been on the early side. She decided she was going to potty train too. (She's 2.5) I wonder if that had anything to do with it? Maybe he was feeling overshadowed or something because she caught on so much quicker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.