Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was visiting with a friend today and she told me about the struggles with her 6 month old son.

He is going to bed around 9:30 and is getting up 3 times a night. He used to just want his pacifier, but it got lost and they can't find an exact match to replace it. Now he gets up and will drink 1 ounce and will finally drift back to sleep after awhile. Last night he got up at 3 and was ready to play. It took her almost an hour to get him back to sleep.

They tried letting him cry, but after 30 minutes they picked him up.

What should I tell her to try???

·
Registered
337 Posts
This sounds pretty normal to me. Does she breastfeed? If so, why doesn't she feed him back to sleep? Otherwise try rocking, holding and walking with him, singing to him. If he's used to the paci, he probably wants to suck something to get back to sleep. I'd just feed him or keep trying to get him to take the new paci

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Sounds like a growth spurt and totally normal. Here is an article from Ask Moxie...

We're going through the 19 weeks spurt right now, it can be totally exhausting. I feel your friend's pain.

·
Registered
227 Posts
my 5,5 months old daughter does the same.She used to sleep at around 8pm until bath waking up once or twice for breastfeeding however she wakes up 3-4 times since a month or so.She doesn't want to sleep after bath, either. Then gets overtired and can't fall into sleep which is also exhausting for us,too. I hope we will pass this stage,too.

·
Registered
720 Posts
if someone has an answer please tell me... i just logged in to ask this question, except my guy is 5 months! part of the problem is teething pain. i just feel awful, he won't nap, he'll nod off and then wake up again if i move, and he's so tired and cranky... he needs his sleep! the only place he wants to sleep these days is in the car, and obviously that's not a solution...

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
hrm...yeah, that sounds like a pretty normal night for a six month old. sounds like shes not BFing, though, which is my saving grace around here. bummer for her!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.