Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, ds 1 is 17 months old. he has figured out door knobs for awhile, so we got toddler proof covers for all the doors. particularly for the inside of his room so he can't run about the house if he wakes up at night, and the door to the bathroom for obvious reasons.

well, he's figured out how to work the covers (they are the kind that you have to squeeze together and turn.) i'm not sure what to do now. someone suggest a unclimbable type baby gate, but even if he can't climb the gate itself, i know he'll just drag a toy next to the gate and stand on top of it to be able to get over cause that's how he climbs onto the coffee table.

i can't just have him running about though. what should i do?

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I don't know if this is a good idea or not but could you put two gates in the door way?? That way he couldn't climb over?

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
They make this great mutli-purpose latches that are perfect for this sort of thing. I think they are made by safety first and you can find them pretty much anywhere that sells baby proofing stuff.

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
I have no idea if it would be safe or not. I wouldn't want to say either way. I've never tried it. Sorry I can't be of more help!

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
For the bathroom door...we put a small "hook and eye" latch about 5 feet up from the floor. We didn't even need tools since the eye just twists into the door frame Obviously you can only latch the door when you're not in the bathroom, but if someone is in the bathroom then there isn't the same sort of risk. We actually did this because we didn't want to "lock down" the bathroom (with toilet locks, tap covers, etc) initially and now it's great since it's well out of reach of curious hands.

For the baby's room...I don't know. DD is 16months but we co-sleep so we know when she tries to make a late night escape! Maybe one of those little door alarms they sell at stores like Home Depot? They are battery powered and go off when a door or window is opened.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
We have these on our garage and front door. The kids (even the five-yr-old) can't undo them. http://www.babyblockers.com/products...fety&prodid=92

You can get them at Lowes, etc. Truly a lifesaver, I think. I had a friend who's son escaped the house through the slider at night and used the Cozy Coupe to climb over the fence. He was four at the time, I believe. He was gone for a day-and-a-half but was ok when they found him.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BurgundyElephant
We have these on our garage and front door. The kids (even the five-yr-old) can't undo them. http://www.babyblockers.com/products...fety&prodid=92

You can get them at Lowes, etc. Truly a lifesaver, I think. I had a friend who's son escaped the house through the slider at night and used the Cozy Coupe to climb over the fence. He was four at the time, I believe. He was gone for a day-and-a-half but was ok when they found him.

that's looks great!!!!! i'll have to get some!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.