Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure if I should post this in pets or toddlers. It's really a vent as I can't seem to find a real solution. I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

Our cat recently had a litter. She started laboring and gave birth to two (of six) underneath our couch, which was NOT the best place for them. I had to move them, which I hated doing because I felt it was a huge invasion of her privacy. But DD kept reaching for her under the couch and she was growling (which she never does usually). She gave birth to the rest in a box upstairs.

I knew it was only a matter of time before DD re-discovered them and I was right. It took about a day. I can't seem to keep her AWAY from them. She's pretty gentle, for a toddler. But she started trying to climb in the box with them, Mama got scared and tried to move them back under the couch.

I don't have a gate tall enough to keep DD out of their room and there is no where else to hide them. She can't keep them under the couch because there is nothing keeping them there, they'd just crawl away and also it's right next to the back door, it's not very safe. So I settled on keeping them in a box in a corner of the living room where I can keep a close eye on them and DD, to keep her from messing with them (which is better than a bedroom upstairs that I rarely go into).

Like I said, I feel REALLY bad moving them. Mama seems pretty comfortable with ME handling them, it's DD that makes her uncomfortable. I wanted to interfere as little as possible and just let her do her thing. She seems content right now-- she's checking on them in the living room but she hasn't tried to move them again.

*sigh* I don't really know what I'm looking for, in posting this. The kittens are only a few days old and keeping DD away from them has been a huge hassle. I don't want to punish her for being curious, kwim? But they are sooo tiny and fragile, it would be so easy for DD to hurt one on accident. I was telling DH this when he said that he accidentally killed a puppy as a small child. That freaked me out even more!

· Registered
2,740 Posts
the bathroom.

we raised our one litter in the bathroom so that the mama could be away from the dogs. you can shut the door and keep it quiet. maybe make a nice space for her under the sink (with the doors open) and only open the door to go in when you have to.

· Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I have two extra bedrooms that we aren't using. There are two main problems in this situation. One being that DD can climb gates so gating doesn't work. I put gates up anyway, as it works as a slight deterrent (maybe she's feeling lazy at the moment and doesn't want to climb it, lol) so it's better than NOTHING. The other problem is that I have another cat but only one litter box, so I can't shut her into a room completely.

So I guess I should get another litter box? I would feel bad shutting the door to that room, she leaves the kittens quite often to come hang out with the family. She gets bored up there with just the kittens apparently, haha. I guess I could make it a point to go spend time with her upstairs though.

I don't know! So far all involved seem to be doing well having them in the living room. DD hasn't messed with them as much. Hmmm.

· Registered
435 Posts
If you put the cats in the extra bedroom you can take a dish towel and close the door on it to keep your DD out.

My older DD has Small toys in her room and I do this when we go up stairs to keep Her younger sister from playing with the too small parts. I fold the towel a couple of times and hold it just above the door handle and close the door.

Good luck

· Registered
2,740 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SevenVeils View Post
Buy another litterbox.

Lock the cat and kittens in a bedroom. Close door.
: it would be really easy for your daughter or the kittens to get seriously hurt. they should be separated until the kittens are at least a little bigger i think.

· Premium Member
465 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PlayaMama View Post
the bathroom.

we raised our one litter in the bathroom so that the mama could be away from the dogs. you can shut the door and keep it quiet. maybe make a nice space for her under the sink (with the doors open) and only open the door to go in when you have to.
I second this. The bathroom is our cat haven from Paul. We cut a little whole in the bottom and keep their food and litter box in there. The kittens and their mom are also in there. Paul isn't very gentle with them so it's better for them. Now they are starting to walk around and come out the door, so we are looking into some kind of Paul proof gate for the hallway, though he is crazy strong, so I don't know what kind of gate would work.

If the bathroom doesn't work, just put her back in that room and shut the door, put the litter box and food up there.

Julie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.