Mothering Forum banner

Not sure what to make of care a friend is receiving

724 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Pynki
She has a bicornate uterus, which she had u/s and laproscopy (?) a few years ago to diagnose. The dr. she saw for that was a real creep (I've been to him too, I concur) and told her that "that means there's lots more surface to implant on, so she should have no trouble conceiving". Also shrugged off her complaints that her breasts leak (throughout her adult life, not during pregnancy).

She is now about 12 weeks pg. Went first to see a CNM in a hospital delivery practice. MW was somewhat rude and brusque, insisted that her dates were wrong, snottily told her that "we test randomly for drugs and alcohol, just so you know", asked a bunch of invasive personal questions about past relationships and tagged her as "an abuse victim" because she used to have huge fights with a boyfriend 5 years ago. "Didn't click with the care provider" is an understatement! She was scheduled for a u/s (which she's had, and confirmed her original dates) and was told that she'd have to be a planned c/s due to the uterine abnormality, and that she was high risk and would have to see the OB, which my friend was relieved about because of course she didn't want to see that mw again.

I figured the planned c/s would probably be the case, from what I've read it's very rare that she could deliver vaginally with a bicornate uterus. I didn't figure it would matter who gave prenatal care though.

She went to see the OB for the first time the other day and I guess it was a very confusing visit. He couldn't find the heartbeat with the doppler, seemed rather disturbed by it (saying things like "where's the baby?" "I can't find the baby"
: ) but just told her to make an appointment to see the mw again in 2 weeks, and if she couldn't find it then schedule another u/s.
: I suggested that she at least make the appt with the other mw.

He also asked about the uterine abnormality, if they had removed the septum. She was perplexed because she had no idea that that was even a possibility. The creepy doc never mentioned it to her back then. The current OB seemed peeved that they didn't do that back then, but didn't say anything else about it.

Thoughts?
See less See more
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
My ILs have uterine abnormalities so I've heard all kinds of things (and read some too in case dd has these problems)

Some bicornuate uteri just have a septum on the inside (the uterus looks heart shaped) which can be removed to make a more rounded cavity. Others are this shape from the outside too or more pointed and cannot be operated on.

Often babies are smaller and breech as they are in a smaller space growing in one or other of the 'horns'. this may be why your friend's OB couldn't find a heartbeat if he was looking to find it in the middle somewhere.

She should be considered high risk and see someone who knows what they are talking about as she is at some risk of miscarriage or pre term labour. Some women do birth vaginally so cs is not an automatic decision.

HTH a little
Personally, I think that the first doc is a little out of it.

The last doc said what I expected to hear. There is surgery available to correct a bicornate uterus.

It also depends on the severity of the septum. But having abicornate uterus doesn't mean that there is a bunch more surface area for the embryo to implant.
For some women, the septum is NOT a good place for implantation, due to blood flow.

I would say that the last OB sounds like he is the only one who is informed about that so far...I would NOT go back to that MW...ekk!

Sounds like it is time for her to shop around...
poor gal.
See less See more
I had a friend that had a bicornate uterus. She had had 3 miscarriages between 8 and 11 weeks, before she found out about her uterine abnormality. She had surgery done to remove the septum, and subsequently became pregnant again. They kept an extra close eye on the growth of the baby throughout the pregnancy, but she delivered a healthy baby vaginally at full term. They're now confident it was the septum that prevented the fetuses from growing normally and caused her miscarriages.

A csec isn't necessarily automatic. I think it would depend a lot on the specific structure of her uterus. But, all the care providers she has seen so far really seem to suck. Is there anyone else she can try? I hope she gets some positive news soon, so that she can enjoy the remainder of her pregnancy.
My grandma had a bicornate uterus and lost three of her five pgs. The other two were birthed vaginally in the early 60s.
If I understand correctly, she did have surgery of some sort in between her two live births- so I assume the surgery was a success.

Sounds like some good advice here- she definitely needs an informed, kind and "with it" provider!
See less See more
I know someone who has birthed two babies and she had a bicornate uterus. Her second was a homebirth.
Thanks mamas!

I read somewhere, don't remember where now but I thought it was reputable at the time, that there are 12 different types of bicornate uteri and 10 of them are completely incompatible with safe vaginal birth (usually causing footling breech or transverse lie, or else would not be able to contract effectively). And yet I did not find anything about increased risk of mc or ptl. So I guess it wasn't that great of a source after all.

It's slim pickin's for care around here. I don't forsee her being comfy with hb.

I'm thinking that she should ask more questions and demand good solid answers, kwim? Also that she needs to get a copy of her records from the laproscopy and find out exactly what the deal is with her uterus.
I have a bicornate uterus. I had a c/s with my 1st because he was transverse breech. I've had 2 vbac's and I'm pg with my 3rd. For me the babies have to turn early, or there isn't enough room to turn later. The OB who did my 1st c/s said while in the OR, "well that's why we couldn't turn him. It's hear shaped. You'll probably have to have a c/s for any other children you have." HA! Showed her didn't I!

My uterus doesn't contract very well when I'm in labor. Instead of having one big contraction I have 2. One big one and then sort of an after shock if that makes sense. It contracts 2x's but the second isn't as strong as the 1st one was. It's hard to explain. You'd think with contracting 2x's as much it would be MORE effective, but apparently not.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.