Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like my health is not as good as it's been and this has been going on for a long time. It's steadily getting worse and while it's not a huge concern all of these things together are making me feel fairly miserable. I'm not sure if it's solely diet related(I do have quite a few food intolerances) or if something else is going on.<br><br><br>
Symptoms include:<br>
fatigue<br>
hair loss<br>
constipation<br>
difficulty getting over illness<br>
muscle aches/pains<br>
arthritis in my knee<br>
headaches<br>
anxiety<br>
cracking jaw<br>
asthma<br>
allergies<br><br>
Here's what I do know... My thyroid function is normal. CBC was normal. I do have a vitamin B12 deficiency. I had an abdominal CT done because of continuing dull aching in a kidney that i had trouble with when I was pregnant but that was normal.<br><br>
Where do I start? Diet? Doctor? Something else? I thought about trying some kind of detox but not even sure where to start with that either.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
I'd have your vitamin D (25OH D) levels checked unless you know you're 50's or above. A lot of what you wrote is consistent with low levels. Most if not all...<br><br>
I was low on coq10 but his mito issue is likely spontaneous, correct?<br><br>
The b12 is likely a big part of the picture--do you know if you're corrected?<br>
T3 and T4 were normal?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have not had Vitamin D checked. I will see about getting that done!<br><br>
Emeric's mito doc does believe the mito is coming from my side of the family but hasn't ever gone into detail about whether or not she felt I was affected.<br><br>
Vitamin B12 levels are not corrected. I need to get in for a shot.<br><br>
I think only TSH was checked. Nothing else.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Ok. This is my (experienced in this myself/similar issues but of course I am skewed in perspective by that experience) advice:<br><br>
1. Get the vitamin D checked. I'm going to be shocked if you're not low.<br><br>
2. Throw in a coq10 and carnitine level just to make sure...I hope it's normal. Mine was not. Coq10 was really low for me and fixing that level has made a huge difference.<br><br>
3. Have a full thyroid (T3 and T4 too)<br><br>
4. Look into sublingual b12 particularly if regular shots aren't happening.<br><br>
Is celiac a possibility?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Rachelle! I have been sick with a cold and now sinus issues for nearly 4 weeks and have not been able to get rid of it so I may end up going in out of desperation. I'm hoping she'll be willing to run some of these tests.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Nicole, a good doctor would run D without hesitation I'd think. Make sure she runs the right lab--25(OH)D. Vitamin D council has good information about the type of test you want.<br><br>
Given Emeric and your symptoms the coq10 and carnitine make sense/I'd be upset personally if she balked on that.<br><br>
In addition to the symptoms you're having Vitamin D has major immune system effects. I've not struggled to kick infections/illness since I corrected mine. In fact, I've barely caught anything despite exposure and that's unusual for my experience prior.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts