Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dd (almost 17 months) can say about 6 words. However, she only uses two regularly--uh-oh and daddy. The others she uses infrequently, maybe once or twice a week, even though there would be other appropriate times to use them, and we encourage her to. She seems to understand things fine, she can follow a conversation and simple commands. Does anyone have any ideas or strategies you use to encourage your kids to use the words they know?

Also, do the words she doesn't say "count" towards her word total? If her ped asked today how many words she has, would I say 2 or 6?

TIA!

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I'd say 6 and watch out for the language explosion that your child is going to have shortly! (our neighbour's DD was exactly like that. She didn't say anything forever and then bam, all of a sudden she was talking and her parents could get her to say anything including "polyester pants suit"! it was incredible to watch.)

·
Registered
255 Posts
I agree. She can say 6, and it doesn't matter if she doesn't use the other 4 all the time, they still count.

Also, kids all develop differently, and just because the ped. says she should know X number by X age, doesn't mean there is something wrong if she isn't at that spot. Those numbers and milestones are based on an average of a bunch of kids. But the fact is, all kids are different and develop differently. Since she understands you, just continue to use words and talk with her, and my guess is pretty soon she'll start picking everything up (even stuff you don't want her to say!).

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
My dd just turned 17 months and is right on par with your dd language wise. My gut tells me there is nothing wrong and she is just going on her own little schedule, not some textbook schedule. She can say mama, dada, bye bye, hi, what's this, and maybe a couple of other things. She only uses three of those words with any consistensy... dada, hi, and bye bye. If you are leaving she will wave and say bye bye. When DH comes home, she runs to the door and throws up her arms and says "hi dada!" She also says hi dada whenever she sees him in the house. The other words are hit and miss... sometimes she says them, sometimes not. She babbles and has her own little "language" constantly. My ped was a bit concerned at her last visit. I told him that at her 18 month checkup, if she hadn't acquired any new language that I would take her in for a hearing eval (I really think that's fine too... she hears things that I don't hear!) and possibly get evaluated.

I like what Jes's Beth said... I'm just waiting for the language explosion over here any minute! She really seems like she has a lot of stuff on the tip of her tongue, it just hasn't came flying out yet

1 - 4 of 4 Posts