Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to purchase a grain mill for some time now, but the price is keeping me from doing it. I bake about 4 loaves fo bread per week, plus the odd other thing (like pancakes or cookies). This one http://www.novanatural.com/product.p...r=2311&sec=668 seems so inexpensive compared to others I've seen. Is it any good? With the amount of flour I would go through in a week is it realistic to purchase a manual grinder?

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
After a year I finally broke and bought a Nutri-mill and I LOVE it. It was expensive, but I have had my fair share of inexpensive appliances that crap out on me. The Nutrimill sits right on my counter and it also holds the extra flour I didn't use up in that particular baking session. I'm in Canada and I found an online Canadian retailer and it didn't cost any more than buying/shipping from the States. I can't remember who I bought it from but if you do a search or even e-mail Nutrimill and ask who sells their products in Canada.

If you buy something cheap, that isn't easy to use or takes a little extra work it will get tedious and you won't use it. You also want something versitile. This machine looks like it will cause you a lot of extra work and to me that's pretty expensive for a hand mill when the electric is much, much, much better. JMO

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
I love that grain mill. It's lovely, and we got to use one at our parent child playgroup at a waldorf school.

That said, I grind my grain in my vita mix. I keep wanting to buy a hand grain, however. But it is a lot of work, and some days I'm just not up to that. But it is lovely and satisfying to use that-- it's art, too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts