Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
wow November already!
Our Halloween was fun.....Simon fell and busted his lip up, but he was so high on sugar he didn't mind.
This year we had the Candy Witch visit ---- it's when your child leaves a portion of their candy for "the candy witch" and in return she leaves them a toy or gift. It was a really great way to cut down on the candy consumption. My kids loved the story and were eager to get to bed that night!
And guess who gets to eat the Candy Witch's share

·
Registered
483 Posts
Can't beleive it's already November!
We had a fun Halloween weekend... I'll post some pix if I ever figure out how! (look for a pm from me on that subject, NLMama...eventually!!
)

Yeah, that dready forum is kinda weird, but pretty cool. I won't let myself get sucked in, tho! I would rather come here cause we all have more in common, being that we're all mamas too.
Sometimes it can be weird talkin about hair so much, kwim?

So, on saturday I was in Target (aaaarrrgghh!) getting my friend's ds a birthday present, and I got heckled!
: It doesn't matter how many times it happens, I will never get used to it. Every time, I think "oh, the next time it happens I'll be ready for it and I'll know what to say." But I just go into a state of shock!
Does this happen to anyone else? It just amazes me that there are people out there that are so miserable with their own lives, they feel the need to verbally attack a total stranger... not just in public, but in front of my children!!
WTF?!
This lady comes up to me and -out of nowhere- goes "What the h*ll is the matter with you?! You're f*ckin WHITE!! Leave your f*ckin hair alone!" Once I picked my jaw up off the floor, I said, "This is what my hair does when I leave it alone. You're beautiful.... how long did you spend in front of the mirror this morning, sister?" or something to that effect. And then, of course, the rest of the day I'm thinkin of all the brilliant comebacks I should have said!

It's sad really, but I guess it's cool cause one of the reasons I dread is to let people like her know, in no uncertain terms, that I am NOT one of them!!

Well, hope everyone's feelin irie... much love, natties!

~brooke~

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
elfie......... I love
the "candy witch" idea good thinkin' mama
We gave out the organic fruit leather bars as candy and most of the kids liked em. Irie and Ash got WAY to much candy I wish the candy witch would have visited our house

HairyArmPits I know what ya mean about talkin' about hair so much. I as well visited that site but I realy only have time to be addicted to a few threads and well I would much rather be here
I can't belive the ignorance of your target encounter WTF is right!!
What does you being "white" have to do with your dreads???? Bob marley's dad was a "white" man ummmm oh ya I guess that made him part "white" as well and ya know I can't remember anyone having any problems with his locks. I'm so sorry someone was so rude to you your such a sweet mama forget about it hun SOME PEOPLE are just ENERGY VAMPIERS a waste of your time!!!! I however am the same way when it comes to going over what I could have said for the rest of the day

Well we had a fun halloween we took the kids to a haunted orchestra at N.I.U it was alot of fun a good introduction for small children to classical music
Afterwards they all got to trick or treat threw out the school.
Ok so I asked all you mamas for halloween pics so I thought I would share some of mine and by the way OMG I look huge
Our Halloween Pictures inside

·
Registered
216 Posts
Oh NLMama - great pictures, and you are not huge, your full with glowy baby! It's really soon isn't it, so exciting

Very cute kiddos there!

That board is ok, but I have requested a number of time to have a "Dreadie Mama" thread for parents and got shot down. It is a lot of younger folk there that are in a different time of life than me, and it is fun "listening" into their conversations of life, they just don't get it when you want to crow about your babies

Lots of nice, kynd folks there as well though!
I'm gonna link another page off of there though cuz it shows some of my stitches that I've done......and after a little break I'm starting them up again (Jen after I finish the one I'm finally making for myself, I'll work on those cherries for ya. The first pattern I drew up, my hubby told me they looked like red boobs
but this one I think I got down!)

Stitch thread

·
Registered
870 Posts
Hairy armpits, the reason you didn't think of the perfect comeback, is because you are a kind,good, real person with a fullfilling life and an enlightened mind.
you are not a negative busybody like her.
remember this mama, a happy person would never act like that. they are miserable, and that is sad.
I would ignore her completely. she probably wanted a confrontation. not giving it to her is the best way to tick her off.
and to keep yourself peaceful.
I always tell myself that if that ever happenes with my kids around i will take the oppurtunity to tell them that people come in all shapes sizes and colors. And that it is a shame that person is so sad.
We are lucky to be happy and confident to be ourselves.
hugs to you.
what a sad sad pig that person is.
Love to you,

Elfie, they shot down a mama thread, uuug, maybe on knottyroots we can do one, i like it waaaay better over there, between me you lizzo punkin papa etc we should able to get it rollin. nocreamcorn jada..i keep thinking of more folks w/ kiddos. anyhow if the cherries aren't working for ya, how about a godess or a tree of life? something motherly ya know? I will need a fatter one soon as my dreads are getting bigger

lemme know how much to pp you as well.
omg I LOVE THE ONE YOU MADE PHUNKY!!
Jen

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
elfi................... Great job on the stiches Mama
lovin your work
How did you learn to make stiches anyway? I realy wanna learn how Is there a book or something I can by? Could you teach me or at least point me in the right direction? I have a awsome stich dh gave me a mama at a gathering made it for him back in 92. Your pictures are great I wolud love,love,love to live out in the country it's so beautifull do you have alot of land? The deer wanting to slide is to funny

Oh I hope I did not give the wrong inpresion saying I would much rather be here than at the knottyLocks forums. I was not meaning to sound snotty or anything. I just feel like you do as far as alot of em being at a different point in there lifes than me. If ya mamas do get a thread over at Knottyroots let me know

Pugmommy7.............
Lovin' your advice and kind words to HiaryArmPits good way to put it mama you are so right!!!!
Alright enough
for me today be good my nattie sistas

·
Registered
870 Posts
nlmama i totally get yer meani9ng. I feel a special kinship here,being mamas, and being a specail kind of mama...all that stuff.
I would never think you were being snotty, you are so sweet!
I started stitching last spring and it was pretty easy once i got the hang of it.
I wish i could explain it, but i know there are some instructions on the web out there, maybe google it?
i used nimo thread, a block of beezwax and some beading needles and some cheapo seed beeds to start. all available at jonanne's or micheal's. and online of course. since the cat incident though... i haven't gotten anyof it out- plus who has time with all the sewing

But i have been striking up lots of trades lately,which I love. I traded a mei tai for an AWESOME skirt from Cre on kl and i have to get a pic to show yall. it even had a mermaid appliqued on it. i have to give her props cuz she rocks. www.oceantribes.com
I wonder if she posts here? she is a natural mama.
Well my locks turned one today, So as promised, some pic, I am bad at taking pics of me, so be kind

love,
Jen

·
Registered
216 Posts
i got what ya meant too

I started stitchin about 15 years ago on Dead tour. I don't remember making dread stitches though....mostly necklaces and crystal wraps and beaded oil bottles that I'm going to start up again. And I guess someone showed me how ...... umm that time of my life has a bit of haze clouding it over
Really once you get the hang of it , it's pretty easy. I think making out a pattern is a little challenging and anyhting that involves adding or decreasing beads can be tricky. I'm sure ther is instruction on the web....I could tell you but I think you need pictures at the very least.

Jen = I'd love to see the skirt from Cre. I traded her too and got a beautiful lunch tote bag for Jahna. I was going to take a picture with all my great trades and post it up. I MUCH prefer trades (although $$$$ always is nice) for peyote work, because it is soooo much work that it out prices itself!

well I'm being called for hugs

ps- you Illinois girls - I used to live in Champaign/Urbana.....I think I've said that before though

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
: Happy Birthday to your dreadys! Happy birthday to your dreadys! Happy birthday dear pugmommy7's dreadys.............Happy birthday to you!
:
:
:
We want pic! We want pics! (If ya can't tell by now I'm a picture freak
)

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Hey mama's. I hate when people are rude about my hair, and if my kiddos were not with me I would tear into them...but, I am learning how to bite my tounge these days. Elfie it sure looks pretty where you live
NLM when are you having that baby? Gas is getting cheaper
Mabey I can afford to come in the next few weeks. My dinner is ready, gotta go

darkstar

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thanks, mamas, for the kind words re: my target episode! I knew I could count on you ladies! Sometimes you just gotta be a dread to understand... I've told stories like that to other people who were kinda thinkin I had it coming or something...

NLMama~ great pix! Your dds are so vibrant and beautiful, just like their mama! (oh, and your dh is no slouch, either!
) I love lookin at your pix... promise you'll be seeing some of my little clan in the near future!

Pugmommy~ Happy Nappy Birthday!!!
Does this mean that your dreadies are toddlers now?
elfie~ lovin your landscapes... so when do I get to come over for a week-long-peyote-stitch-workshop-vacation? I, too, have always wanted to learn!

...and where's Lizzo at? Hmmmm... something tells me she's at that other dreadie forum mackin it to some fine nattie brothers!

Speaking of fine... saw Damien Marley on the Late Show the other night...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

~brooke~

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
HEY HEY HEY LOVELY DREADIE MAMAS!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope all of y'all's November's are off to a BEAUTIFUL start!

I am doula-in it up! It's fun! I'm amazed by my 7 month old! He's crawlin and standin and talkin...amazing!!!

Eflie girl! We've gotta cook up a meet up!! On the Knotty board everyone's like "Talk to Purslane, she's a midwife" and I'm like who's Purslane? But it's YOU! And you live pretty close! We should talk midwifery and birth and stuff! Also...I need to get a peyote stitch from you mama! Your work is beautiful!
Anywho...
to you dreadie goddesses!!!!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I have gotten lots of stares but only one dude asked me if I thought I was black or something. I looked at him and said yes I was black. He got all uncomfortable (because I am extremely pale). I went on to explain that I had a rare skin condition and it was extremely painful for me for him to bring it up.
The dude apologized and said uh sorry I like didn't know and went about his day.

Ya just gotta mess with people!!

Or sometimes, I will pretend that I didn't know the dreads were there and I willl start screaming and pulling at my hair in horror and then go oh yeah I forgot I had these and then just walk away. Usually people just don't know what to do. I love shocking the sh*t out of them though it makes me think that I have put a new crease in their brain where new neurons have formed. (yeah, I am a bit of a geek)

Glad to see other aspiring midwives on this thread. I am taking the long route to midwifery though. I am going to go through nursing school first and then hopefully become a CNM. I want to be able to work overseas and it much harder to do that as a CPM. I just have to actually finish all the schooling first which takes FOREVER!

Peace,
Shelbi

·
Registered
216 Posts
hippiemom - you crack me up!

Lizzo you are invited here anytime.....I thought State College was like 4-5 hours away???? I'm about 40 mins. from Harrisburg - are you closer than I thought?
I'm a traditional laymidwife forever student. I don't post about usually on this board because it is illegal in most states and folks can be a bit picky
....plus with young uns I'm doing very little birthwork myself.
I've actually been wanting to discuss this w/other birth junkie mamas, because I've been much more interested in counseling pregnant women, couples w/fertility issues, herbs in childbearing years, birth classes. Seems now that I'm getting over infancy with my own kids, I'm not so interested in having a job that requires all-nighters
I feel kinda bad about saying that!
Anyway - the coursework I took was from Oregon School of Midwifery and worked w/a homebirth midwife and was a DONA doula for a hospital system in Maryland for a few years....that allowed me MANY birth experiences, since at the time, the hospitals paid our fees free of charge for the mothers. It was not an ideal situation as far as forming a clinet relationship, but I feel it was helpful to a lot of women and I was able to see so many different kinds of births! I really enjoyed it. Hope that helps anyone on their journey of doula/midwifery

I haven't had any comments about my hair, but their still only 8 months and I have such dark hair it's probably hard to tell right away! I'll file away all these great comebacks for future refrence!

·
Registered
436 Posts
i guess i can hop on this thread now that it has been about a month and a half with no brush getting near my head. i have had dreads before but i got them started with my own hands. this time they are on their own!!! there are a few popping up and sometimes i twist those, but i keep hearing them tell me to just 'leave em alone so they can grow by themselves'
anyway, i just bought some sea salt so i can make sea salt/eo rinses for my hair. when i was living on the coast of cali, the ocean was mostly the only place i bathed and i remember this made my knots lock up nicely. what does everyone think of that?
well, you all seem like a great bunch of mommas.. i am subbing!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ashleylesh.......
I have heard that the ocean does wonders for locks that it makes them dread up faster ect.... Sounds like your doin' all ya need to just let em go

Alright mamas ya know how we were talkin' about peyote stiches? I went to borders book store this weekend and bought a phat book on stichin' it shows all the basics (somethin' I really need) it has great pictures to go along with the instructions and it also has tones of patterns on how to make anything you could think of with peyote stichin'. I paied 20$ for it kinda alot if ya ask me but I was thinkin' I could make some copy of it and send it to any of ya mamas that may want it! It also has alot of pattern that are deffinantly for the exspereanced stichers so let me know if ya want one I don't think it is against any copy right laws if I give it away for free right???

·
Registered
436 Posts
ooh natty, i will def pay for postage and supplies to get in on that book! before i finished reading your post, i almost went out and bought the book. haha, no really though...i will send some sort of surpise in trade. i had a pattern from somewhere that i used once for stitch, it did not work out well. it sort of fanned out instead of becoming tubular. which is not very tubular or bodacious if you ask me!

·
Registered
870 Posts
try doing the stitch the same way but around a dowel, or a pen or whathaveyou.

i am such a dork, i forgot my pics and was chatting on an old thread. But I didn't want the last poster to think we were ignoring them

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...mashair009.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...mashair007.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...mashair006.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y12...mashair004.jpg
And I swear i am not that serious,ever! i am just baaad at taking pics of myself. esp in that lil bathroom

Thanks for the big happy NLM!
i love you ladies!!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.