Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I thought I would get the thread going this month with 2 questions...

1.) How did you handle Halloween????

I was very happy with how I did. I set aside 7 points worth of candy to eat, but vowed to make my 8 guidelines first. Once I met all 8, (including a 4 point workout), I was too full to eat all my candies, so there were still some of them left in the bowl this morning. Now I just have to handle all the leftover candy, since we didn't have many little beggars coming this year. For now, I have it all hidden in the hall closet.

2.) How do you handle candy around your kids????

This has been a big issue for me. My oldest is 2 yo, and I really try to make eating a positive experience, while limiting her access to less healthy foods. I haven't yet allowed her to have sticky candy, gum, or suckers, as I am concerned about her teeth. She does have access to chocolates and baked goods on a limited basis, but I really stay away from anything with partially hydrogenated oils, which really limits her choices. Sometimes she gets really demanding and loud, insisting that she gets a treat, but if she hasn't eaten her meal or has already had something, I don't give in.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I did not do well with Halloween. Once I got started, I couldn't stop. I feel very sick today! My kids have been sneaking candy too, my whole family has a horrendous sweet tooth! Tomorrow, my husband and I will "thin" the candy, and try to rid of alot when they are not looking.

I did start working out more often. I do either a pilates tape, firm workout, or walk away the pounds. I have to admit to myself that I am just not making it to the gym right now. My husband and I are trying to take walks together on the weekends, and leave my teen to babysit.

Anyone want to post some sample journal days? I need to get out of my rut and use my points more wisely! It seems like I have so many, but then, they disappear too quickly!

On a postive note, I was down 2.2lbs last week! yeah for me! I have about 40 more to go!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Wow, I can't believe it's november! This month I'm going to reach 10%
(next week if I'm good).

Halloween went so-so. My kids have soccer from 4-430 so that got us home a little late to make a decent supper since we had planned to pair up with a neighbour and they were ready to go by 5pm. So I gave the kids grilled cheese and dh ordered pizza for us for when I got back. So the pizza was in my points so that was okay. I had some mini chocolate bars that weren't marked for nutritional info or even weight so I couldn't tell how many points they were. I also had some roasted pumpkin seeds. So I used some flex points but I'm not totally sure how many. I still have quite a few flex points left and quite a few activity points so I think I'm okay. I just didn't like the feeling that came over me as I was eating those mini chocolates. Now there are still quite a few candies left so I'm trying to figure out how to get them out of here!

With regard to my kids and candy, I was very strict with my first and she didn't have much junk food at all till she was 3 and up. And even then I watched everything she ate like a hawk. I guess I'm hoping my kids will be spared the torture I have gone through as overweight (at different times in my life). I am more lenient now but I still keep a pretty good watch on what they consume. The one thing I am extremely careful about is the type of vocabulary and message I send to my kids. I still remember my mom telling me I was fat at age 6 (I've seen pictures of me and I was nowhere near fat) and it has affected me my entire life and, I think, actually resulted in my weight issues.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
WEll... Halloween wasn't an issue for me. I'm not sure how that happened but it did. I never touched a single piece of candy. I think this morning I celebrated by having a really super yummy fat burning protein shake after working out at the gym. I chose the PMS specialty one since that pretty acurately describes the state I'm in :LOL It was chocolate, banana, peanut butter all non-fat with yogurt. Mmmmm 6 points but worth it all!!

As far as my kiddos go... we're pretty much letting them go to it while they have the chance. It's only once a year and candy is not a staple in our lives. I must admit to freaking out in my mind about the amounts of sugar they're taking in amoungst other garbage but I guess it's a rite of passage in a "sweet" kind of way. I was never allowed to celebrate Halloween at all growing up due to my Fathers extreme religious view so I enjoy doing it up in every way with my kids. In a few days the candy will be gone until next year :-D

I WI tommorrow and I'm so nervous. I was in Canada doing music for a good part of the week and counting points was a real challenge due to not being in control of what I was served 2 out of 3 meals everyday.I did the best I could. I had one off day but worked out every day. I am totally PMSing and will be at 12 dpo at WI so I am assuming this will affect my weight. I'm hoping I at least maintained. NO GAIN!!!!!

12.4 lbs gone and crossing my fingers for a loss.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I did fine with Halloween. I'm not a big candy person, so it wasn't that big of a deal. My biggest downfall was our trip to Disneyland this weekend! I was doing awesome the first 2-3 days, but then, I slacked and over ate. It wasn't that I ate unhealthy food, I just ate too much. It's a good thing I don't have room service at home!

I also weigh-in tomorrow night. I'm kind of nervous. I really just hope that I haven't gained anything back.

Oh, our kids are pretty young still so we just trick-or-treated at a few houses (like 5 or 6 of them). They didn't get much candy, and I don't mind if they finish it off tomorrow. Then, the house will be cleared of it!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Hi...I was on this thread for a while ago until I got pregnant with #2. Now he's here (finally!) and I'm wondering when y'all went back to WW after the baby. I was thinking six weeks but that seems like a while. I have not been disciplined for a while...I did really well while I was pregnant until I went past my EDD, and since the baby was born and I'm soooo hungry.

Anyway good luck and any advice is appreciated!

BTW I'm about 25 lbs from my goal weight. I have already lost over 20 just from birth and fluid and stuff.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
OK the results are in ... I LOST .2! Better than nothing!!! I am stoked. I know it would have been more under different circumstances like being in my own country LOL!!! But I am happy never the less... AF showed today too so I know that make sa big difference.

Writermama looks like we're in the same boat! Good for you!

·
Registered
672 Posts
YAY!!! I just got back from WI and I lost 3.4lbs this week! for a total of 26.4. My previous wi was a maintain so it was really important for me this week to see some change. What I did differently this week was made more effort on getting water in to me (still didn't get the required amount though, but much better than usual) and also did more exercise. I tossed 2 cords of wood under the deck singlehandedly and went for at least 3 good walks.

Mamabeth, congrats and welcome. I think if you've already lost 20lbs you are doing amazing! Personally at 6 weeks pp I don't think I could handle a weight program but I'm brand new (9 weeks) to any kind of "program" so that could be just me. I wouldn't want to deal with sleepless nights AND expecting weight loss. I'm just worried that you might be to hard on yourself but if you know yourself and think you will be okay, I guess you should be fine to go ahead. Just out of curiosity, what happens to your WW membership when you get pg? Anyone?

Milky and Writer, way to go on the losses during Halloween!

Maggi, do you mean post what we are actually eating in a day?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Hi everyone!

Whew. I've not had a very good WW week. I haven't done my points all week. I'm trying to watch what I eat but I just don't feel like journaling for some reason. I've even thought about quitting - I look pretty good right now!! But I think I'm ok now. I'll be WIing on Saturday and taking what comes. I've actually never had a gain on WW before so that will be new!

So my answers are:

1. Not too well. It's way too hard for me to be OP with candy in the house. My name is Jennifer and I'm a candyholic.
:

2. I stole her M&Ms. At least she's too young to know! But that's mean mama-ing for sure!

It's been an AWFUL week. First DH hit a deer with my car - hopefully that will be finished tomorrow and then yesterday coming out of the mall parking lot, he hit someone else's car with his car!!! It's just been a stressful, crabby time. He's workign nights this month and our plan was to get the kids and I out of the house so he could sleep during the day. Well, that doesn't work so well when the only car we have left probably shouldn't be driven around too much. Crud. Sometimes, when it rains it really RAINS!!!!!!

Congrats to all you losers! You all suck!!!
(Just kidding! I'm proud of you!)

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Oh Jen!!
Big hugs girly. I'm so sorry to hear about all the craziness around your family... boy it does feel like when it rains it pours, eh? Hang in there Mama! Don't quit, then you wouldn'y be here to inspire the rest of us. You're part of the crew.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I've never eaten at Applebees before but I went to the first one to open here in my city tonight. I went specifically because this month's WW magazine promoted the fact that they have teamed together and have 10 menu items for Weight Watchers. Well, the first major disappointment was that it doesn't apply to Canadian Applebees. Second, I ordered a dinner that I thought would be pretty healthy (there was a big picture in the menu) but when I received it, it was LOADED with a very rich cream sauce. It tasted okay but not fantastic and definitely not worth the points I'm sure were in it. I don't even know how to go about guessing the points so I'm just going to forget it. I ate light today and had lots of points left for supper so I guess I'll just live and learn. Have any of you been to American Applebees and tried their WW meals?

Jen, big hugs to you girl!!!! Don't give in now. We need you and you need us. I had a week like yours the week before last and know exactly how you feel. But this past week went much better for me. The thing that did it was getting to go to a full meeting. With all that went on for you in your life, it's no shame whatsoever to go off program for a bit. Try to stay for the meeting if you can and maybe talk to your leader. You'll bounce back, just don't give up!

·
Registered
10,292 Posts
I just joined today and am excited about finally having the desire to lose weight and actually doing something about it. I am by far the heaviest I have ever been in my life (including all 5 pregnancies) and it is really bothering me. I enjoyed my 1st meeting and am looking forward to being smaller by next summer.

For some odd reason as it is so not like me, I stayed out of the kids treats!! I am usually a candyaholic but all I have had is 1 Hershey bar. We have a pillowcase literally filled to the top and it is really not even tempting. I will be getting it out of the house soon though since I do not want the kids to get used to having it around. They have not been too bad since it is in the garage and therefor out of sight.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Welcome Tnrsmom

Julie... I was just in St. John last week and was thinking about how under my circumstances it would have been nice to at least get to an Applebee's for a WW meal - I had no idea that didn't apply to Canadian branches
What a bum deal. Needless to say I never did get to one, but I'm glad now since I would have just been disappointed anyway. I would have done the same as you... forget the meal and eat light ... what else can you do right?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Hi everyone!

I'll be weighing in soon. I have to wait for the babes to wake up and nurse so I can loose 2 pounds in my boobs.

I'm NOT quitting. It was just a really bad week and it also knocked me off my pedestal a bit. Now I understand backsliding a little better!! I'm feeling a bit more motivated because DH really looked at my yesterday and said, "Wow! You're skinny!" I like that reaction.

Julie, you're kidding about Applebee's!! Was the meal you are referring to the "fiesta lime chicken?" That's so good but so very bad.

Does Canada not have the weight problem America does? I've never actually looked at people's weights while visiting up there.

Welcome, Trnsmom!

I know we have a bunch of WIs on Friday and Saturday. How is everybody doing?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Well, I'm up two entire pounds. Wow. It's amazing how fast it can go back on. I've been OP all day - I'm obviously not taking the weekend off.

I am determined that next Friday, that 2 pounds will be gone again and hopefully it will take at least another 1/4 with it!

Hey. My car is back and better than before. I actually got a new radiator and AC out of the deal. Sometimes when you lose, you win!

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
hey ladies! I missed WI this week
Im actually really dissapointed because it was my 16 week weigh in... but dd had a field trip to go hiking up at Red Rocks and so we all went there as a family. I was hoping to get to a WI before the end of the week but i havent had a chance that didnt involve taking the girls. I think This week is a good week to change weigh in to Sunday.. so i think ill go then.

I hate halloween. I cant resist chocolate when its in the house
so i actually didnt lose anything as of thursday when I weighed myself. We will see about tomorrow.

·
Registered
984 Posts
What bothers me is the slowness of it all... but then aren't we trying to make life changes? Still, week after week, so slow! The one thing I love is the feeling I have when I wake in the morning knowing I did well the day before. It gives me the will-power to keep going!

-Laura

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi All.

Welcome new folks.

Jennifer...I am right there with you on the roller coaster.

I was up 0.6 on weigh in this week. However, my home scale was looking very friendly, up until weigh in day. I also did 18 points worth of activity, and had some awesome workouts. My legs and behind are feeling much firmer (no jiggle!)

I really think that once you get closer to your body's meant to be weight, it gets slower. The weight I am now, is what I weighed 7 years ago, before starting infertility treatments and having babies. Now I will be really challenged to get that weight down to a healthy standard.

I had been using only half of my nursing points, but now am considering using even less. If not nursing, I would be eating 24 points at my weight, so will attempt to stick with 26 this week. I do think, however, that if I just get strict on myself about the "little nibbles" I take throughout the day, things will get better. It's not until I make myself say "no" to all the little extras that I realize just how out of control I have become.

My Stats...
SW- 208
CW-180
GW-Thinking around 160

1 - 20 of 204 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.