Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since we're all still in the first trimester (I guess between 5-8 weeks), no doubt we are always in the backs of our minds wondering if we'll "make it" to around the 12 week mark, right? So, at this point who all really knows we're pg and who are we waiting to tell?

I'll start: I have told three close friends. DH has told one of his friends (that was at my recommendation so that he'd have someone to fall back on if needed). I've told about three aquaintences. So, that's about it...

Here's the interesting part for me. I haven't told either set of our parents or my sister who I am very close to. By this time in my first pg I had told them. BUT, because I'm still BF my little nursling (25 mos.), I've held off telling because if something happens I don't want to be faced with anything about that being the cause. Even though all of us know here that that would have nothing to do with it! So, I've yet to decide when I'll spill the beans.

And I know that many moms-to-be tell after the stick reads "+"
, but I'm holding out!

Anyone? ......

Carol, Mommy to my (5/2002)
: and expecting (2/19/2005)

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
We told everybody
I cannot hide increased appetite OR morning sickness to save my life, so I just say something - it makes it easier. The kids told my MIL, I told my mom in a "oh, BTW..." kind of way over the phone (we were talking about someone else's new baby, I think), and now all my family is pretending nothing is different

It's been nice to just tell people when they ask me how I'm doing that I feel like crap, but it's a good thing

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I didn't want to tell anyone because of a miscarriage in Feb. But, Dh told his mom. She was visiting and he needed an excuse for my odd behavior (sleeping all the time eating almost nothing, general malaise.) My friends have all guessed. Everyone is kind of expecting it to happen sooner or later, I just hate having to "untell" so many people. Hopefully that won't have to happen again.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
We've told just about everyone, including people at my work (except my boss). I felt "safer" to tell after we saw the heartbeat last week, and then again on Monday. I was 8 weeks yesterday, and I'm on vacation for a while starting today. When I go back to work after my break, I'll be 11 weeks, so I will tell my boss then.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
We've told everybody except my mother and her side of the family. Except my little brother does know, he's 15. He's a good secret keeper. I just don't know how to deal with that whole family because my mother and I aren't even speaking and I don't care if we EVER do again. Her parents and the rest of the family are all just so freakin difficult. Their love is very conditional. I know they won't get excited about this baby because we moved so far away and they won't get to see it all the time. I'd just rather not tell them at all, but I know I'll have to at some point.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
The only people who know are my husband and my best friend. Due to family medical history, I want to wait a bit before telling everyone.

We have an ultrasound scheduled for July 22 - I'd like to tell our families after that if everything is okay. I'll probably wait until mid August to tell the folks at work, if I can keep it that long. As far as friends who I don't work with, I'd like to tell them in late July or early August.

I have a feeling my MIL knows we are trying, at least, since I've stopped drinking beer. My friends are probably clued in too.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
we haven't told too many. my sister, our daycare lady to reserve a spot jic, and i told my running buddy i couldn't run anymore and she sort of guessed it lol.

i think that's it. it was too hard untelling everyone last time. i have an u/s today and if all looks good we *may* tell family this weekend. i definately am trying to hide it from work for several more weeks but unsure if that will be possible. i think they're looking at my funny lol.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Entirely too many people know. 6 friends know, my immediate family knows, Steve's does not.
A couple clients know--I kinda had to tell them something as I was not being a good business person.
One of the guys Steve works with knows, etc etc etc

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have horrible morning sickness, so I've pretty much told anyone I've seen in person. It helps explain my pallor, chapped lips, why I shoot dirty looks towards the kitchen, etc, even if I don't barf while they're here.

But I had a mc in 2001, before my son was born in 2002. The first one, we told everyone right away. When I mc at week 11 (we'd never heard a heartbeat), I sent an email to everyone asking that they make sure to spread the sad news to anyone who'd heard the happy news. I was mostly glad I'd told so many people since I was mess afterward and it would've been harder for me trying to hide it or my sudden social withdrawal. Plus MOST of them were great and did things like drop off mindcandy books and chocolate. But the news didn't spread at dh's work, so at the Christmas party 2 months later, people were coming up and congratulating me and even touching my stomach. *bleah* So this time we've not told anyone at his work except his boss.

The second time, we told fewer people right away, but I was wretchedly ill, and ended up telling most everyone who saw us. We told everyone else once we heard the heartbeat with a doppler. I think that's what we'll do this time - publicly announce once we get that heartbeat. I'm very, very, very eager and anxious to hear it, though reassured by my morning sickness. The chance of miscarriage is much smaller once you get that little thumpa-thumpa.

Er.. long answer, sorry!

- Sofia (first post!)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
welcome Sofia! (one of our preferred girl names, btw!)

We told those who were aware of our trying, and our parents. We're thinking of expanding the list to siblings this weekend...I want to embrace this, and have everyone join in celebrating this joyful event, but of course I am still concerned about the risk of having to "untell" people.

Only 2 women at work know (they knew of our ttc trials), and I'm hoping I won't have to say anything to management and everyone else until I have to...my boobs may spill the beans first, though, :LOL

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
We have told most everyone now. We saw the HB on Tuesday, and all is well with baby, so I'm not going to worry anymore. I spotted for about 2 weeks or so, so that made me nervous.

(((peacefulvegan))) I am having family problems too right now. I just told my parents about the baby by saying "well, I'm pregnant and I don't need this stress right now. We can discuss it after the baby is here in February!!!" They decided to never talk to me again, but now claim I made the entire conversation up??? My DH was here, so he can verify that I'm not the dillusional one!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shannon0218
Ahhhhh, but lets face it....I'm due first!!!
:
true...but maybe you'll be late, and I'll be early...

...or maybe they can both be Sophias - I had a best friend with the same name in early grade school...um...maybe we shouldn't discuss what some of the other names are, boy & girl...
:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Let's see. Who knows:
My mom. Best friend (who's far away). 4 friends here (who all were tremendous supports during my m/c, so I'd want them to know). 1 co-worker (regret this one). 2 playgroup moms (it just slipped). 1 couple who live far away. They were expecting when we had dd and now are expecting again. They were close friends when they lived here.

Wow, that's more than I thought.

Dh's family doesn't know. If all goes well with the u/s tomorrow we will tell his sister when we visit her next week and his parents when we visit them in 3 weeks. If everything isn't ok by u/s we will probably tell dh's parents, but I just don't want to talk to them about it now. Don't need any unsolicited advice. I'll tell bosses when school starts. I will be over 13 weeks by then.

Sorry for the long, slightly incoherent post!

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Pretty much everyone. Most of our friends knew we were trying and when i stopped going out for drinks they put two and two together and figured it out. I had to tell my boss because I will be leaving my job after the third or fourth month and he needs to find a replacement (I'm so nice giving that jerk a 2-3 month notice). I told one of the ladies in the office (she knew we were TTC) and she screamed which brought the other ladies flocking to her office so they all know. This was the second day I knew I was pg. So we then decided to call our respective parents who then told the rest of the family and family friends...umm...vicious cycle? I really wanted to wait until the magic three months but DH pointed out that if I miscarried, everyone would find out anyways, so we might as well tell them.

·
Registered
8,530 Posts
* Everyone at MDC (I changed my sig
)
* Our mothers
* My father
* My SIL
* Two close friends/neighbors
* My coworker/friend
* API playgroup friends

We're on the verge of telling just about everyone - just want to hang on another week or so. I am serioulsy starting to show already... well not to everyone, but me and dh can tell. I definitely have this "hard bump" below my belly button! So I figure I only have a few more weeks til I'm wearing maternity clothes (around 12 weeks). Funny thing is I've LOSE two pounds from queasiness / food aversions!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by heveasoul
...or maybe they can both be Sophias
:
and of course, I feel obliged to point out that Sophia and Sofia are very different names. Um. Well, maybe just to me!

I didn't meet another Sofia in the US until I was in college. But now everytime I go to the park, I get jumpy with all the other moms calling "Sophia! Sophie!" It seems like only the ph spelling is popular, though. Hmm, off topic in a big way!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts